1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Snap to region borders with overlap?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by oortone, Apr 19, 2011.

1. oortone

oortone Member

Here's a tricky problem that might not have a solution in Logic. I tried Logicprohelp without sucess so this is my last resort before giving upp.

In the left picture some regions are selected.
    I want to shuffle these left.
    I want the upper eight to snap to the corresponding unselected regions.
    The result should look like the right picture.

The problem is the overlapping regions at the bottom. I want to move these together with the other regions to keep sync. That prevents me from using any standard "snapping method" like "Shuffle Left" or "Pick up clock".

The best suggestions so far involves removing the overlap, aligning and then edit the overlap back on the lower clips. That's ok but not great and doesn't work on take folders.

Any ideas?

This is a project without any time grid. There's no midi or syncronisazion involved. Otherwise I would have help from snap to grid features.

BTW: The feature I'm looking for is often needed in radio production where there's usually no sync or timecode and everything floats freely and overlapping regions are commonly used in transitions.

Attached Files:

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hmmm, that is an interesting question. And, I can see the usefulness of it.

Have you tried the key command "shuffle regions left within selection", with all of the regions selected? I'm not sure if it will work in this case though.
  4. oortone

oortone Member

No, that doesn't work either the (to be) overlapping regions won't move at all or they will move to the wrong place and lose their sync position in relation to the other regions.
  5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Yup, I tried it here too - didn't work. It is an interesting dilemma. I wonder if there might be some jiggery pokery with locking and unlocking smpte positions, or anchors, that might make make it feasible? I fear some sharper brains than mine will be needed to figure out this conundrum.....
  6. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

I was just playing around with this as well. Unfortunately, I think you've probably been given (or figured out on your own) the best way(s) in Logic to do this. Good feature request for something like "lock regions" so they always move together
  7. oortone

oortone Member

Actually the "lock regions" or group regions is very rare in DAW:s. I've never understood why. It's common in desktop publising and very useful.

Without grouping possibilities I guess some kind of "snapping" when regions touch each other would work. But not in Logic it seems.

The idea using anchors could work if there was a quick way to move the anchors to where the other regions have their left borders, but there isn't. That has to be done manually too. So it will take equal amount of time or more.
  8. tigerman

tigerman Senior member

it worked here, look at screenshots :)
    dunno if it's the same you want ;)

Attached Files:

9. jonperl

jonperl Member

Here's a fairly quick method:
    Select all.
    Command GO TO SELECTION START (goes to start of first group of regions).
    Using Shuffle R (Not Shuffle L), move the left group of regions to the right to butt into the regions on the right (this works correctly).
    Then select them all again and use Command PICKUP CLOCK, which moves the whole bunch back to where you started.

You could optionally create an Edit group of all channels to avoid having to select all regions specifically.
  10. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Jonathan,

11. oortone

oortone Member

Well, yes Jonathan's idea was smart.

tigerman has the ultimate solution. Thanks you so much. It works over here too!

I am amazed I missed that. I never use that pop up and I was 100% certain the command "Shuffle Left" in the pop up would be identical to having "Drag: Shuffle Left" activated and then moving a bunch of regions.

Logic is sometimes very Un-Logic....

This problem is now solved and I'm almost very happy :)

Would be 100% happy if I could create a key command for this action.
  12. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

A couple of nice tips! :thmbup:

I did get inspired and tried them both, thank you. I will add (I trust to oortone's certain delight) the key command is awaiting assignment in the key command window. Open and type in "shuffle" in the search field - in exists for left and right.
  13. oortone

oortone Member

Yes, I found the key command too today.
    That's going to be used a lot by me.