Logic Pro 9 Snip Time Corrupts Automation....

mk3

Logician
Hello -

There appears to be a bug with the Snip: Cut Section Between Locators command. When I remove a section from a project, automation is sometimes moved or erased in random (later, as far as I can tell) sections of the song. Some tracks are fine, some lose partial automation later in the song, some lose all automation, and some have the later automation shifted by some random amount.

Have others experienced this problem? Any suggestions on fixes would be welcome. If indeed this is a bug, I shall report it to the gurus at Apple.

The topic has been discussed elsewhere. For example, here it is mentioned that the problem seems to occur with larger projects:
http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=54394&view=next&sid=b60b9e25061f23872f52273336a6a29a

Thank you....

Best,
mk3

P.S. The automation which is corrupted is on audio tracks, not just on aux tracks. The tracks are within folders, so I am actually cutting the folder tracks. All audio is snipped correctly, but automation is not.

Upvote 0
Are you sure that what's happening is not just that the automation has remained the same even though the song has had a piece snipped out and the later part shifted earlier? I've run into that, where Snip faithfully removes the section and closes the gap in the audio, but does NOT snip the automation as you would logically want it to. I can't remember if there is a certain circumstance where this happens or if there's a workaround.

Upvote 0
I've run into that, where Snip faithfully removes the section and closes the gap in the audio, but does NOT snip the automation as you would logically want it to. I can't remember if there is a certain circumstance where this happens or if there's a workaround.

It would happen if the automation preferences were set to "never". This could be the issue

Attachments

• move automation.jpg
    move automation.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0
Are you sure that what's happening is not just that the automation has remained the same even though the song has had a piece snipped out and the later part shifted earlier?

No, that wasn't the case. Some of the automation was just complete gone (volume automation set to zero, where there had been curves before, and the curves had not been moved, as they were nowhere to be found)!
Other automation was moved, but not by any consistent amount, and not by the number of measures of the actual snip. I couldn't discern any pattern to the corruptions, but it makes quite a mess to clean up.

mk3

Upvote 0
I have this problem all the time and have some workarounds that improve but don't totally cure the problem.
1 Whenever a buss is automated, add an empty region that spans the length of the song. This seems to attach the automation in a way that makes it behave more as expected.
2 Add automation points just before and after any regions, and on either side of, and within any edits.
3 You can greatly reduce the problem, by converting all track automation to region automation, although this can create some complications of its own. This is another reason to have regions wherever there is automation. Sometimes the reverse conversion back to track automation goes a bit haywire, but not always.

I agree that the larger the project, the more likely you are to have problems.

Good luck

Michael

Upvote 0
Back