1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solo individual tracks within a sub group

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Antiphones, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Antiphones

Antiphones Member

Like most people I assign the output of groups of tracks to auxes when mixing. So I have a drum aux a guitars aux etc... allowing me to apply compression to all the tracks assigned to the aux at once.

I often need to solo an aux, say the drum aux, in order to work on the drum sound.

But once I've done this, the solos for individual drum tracks no longer work. The light goes on, but I still hear all the other tracks on the soloed aux. Is there a way to get individual tracks to solo when I have their aux soloed?

Thanks for any help.

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Good question. I very often find myself in exactly this situation as well. There's one very useful key command that helps in this scenario, and one workflow habit that helps as well:

1. When you Option click on a track's solo button, it will automatically remove all other solo'd tracks from being solo'd (including Aux tracks). It's kind of like what some DAWs refer to as "Exclusive Solo" mode. So, if you have the drum subgroup in solo mode, just Option click the solo button of one of the individual drum tracks. It will simultaneously un-solo the aux while soloing the individual track.

2. I keep my subgroup aux tracks right near the tracks that are feeding them in the Mixer, so that I don't have to scroll all the way down to the end of the mixer to access the subgroup controls. This means that the aux tracks need to occupy a track in the Tracks Area of the Main Window, but it means it's easier to move between the various solo buttons with a minimum of scrolling in the Mixer.

4. Antiphones

Antiphones Member

Thanks for the great tip Eli. I didn't know about that option click solo, that's super useful and a great work around. I do that same with moving my auxs next to the tracks that are grouped to them, definitely a time saver.

Thanks again!