1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 soloing a short region

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by edurbrow, Sep 16, 2010.

1. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

I have imported a bunch of very short audio regions. How can I solo a region and hear it without Logic scrolling past the end of it when I am zoomed in? It goes off screen and then I have to find it again.
    TIA

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Select the region, press "s" to solo it, or option s to solo lock it, then ctr = to set the locators to the start and end of the region, turn cycle on and it will play over the region. Of course, if it is extremely short, such as an individual drum hit, it may end up sounding like a machine gun in cycle mode, but the playhead will always be somewhere in the region ...

kind regards

Mark

4. Eli

Eli Senior member

I think the other thing that might be useful is using the marquee tool. If you make a selection with the marquee tool and hit play, Logic will start and stop at the selection boundaries.

This might not be particularly elegant with small regions, since it might be hard to swipe across the _exact_ length of each region - unless of course it's cut to fit the grid. But still, it might do the trick. If they're really small and don't conform to grid increments, just swipe across and overshoot the boundaries a bit. You'll get a beat or two of dead air at the beginning when you hit play, but so what if it's just for auditioning purposes (IMO).

5. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

This is a really useful trick to know. I especially like that it stops when it gets to the end of the selection. Still, it involves quite a bit of clicking around though: selecting solo, markee tool, dragging, play. I'm coming from DP and the one behavior I've been missing is this: click and hold on a soundbite and it plays.

Something is amiss here. I tried selecting inside these small regions and it sounds three notes instead of one. You can see in the attached pict that there is only one note in the region.

Attached Files:

6. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

This is good too. I found that it was unnecessary to set the region. By option clicking with the marquee tool, it selects the whole region and it plays and stops at its boundaries. Very cool. If I have the marquee selected as the alternative command-key tool, I can cmd-opt- click a region and then play just plays that. Still need to select S though.

I still don't understand what the solo lock mode does. How is this different from regular solo?
    Manual says: To retain the solo status of several selected regions (can be done in Playback mode)...Select several regions with the Pointer tool.
    Option-click the Solo button
    What does "retain the status" mean? I see no difference in behavior here.
    TIA

7. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Solo Lock simply means, if you deselect the region or regions which have been solo'ed, they remain solo'ed. To see (or rather, hear) the difference, solo one or more regions using s, then click elsewhere.

kind regards

Mark

8. Eli

Eli Senior member

You can do this from within the Audio Bin.