Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonalksis group buy

Discussion in 'Audio Units: Effect and Instrument Plugins' started by peterlemer, Apr 2, 2009.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

I am relatively new to production and am immersed in some new songs written and sung by one of my students. I've been using the Logic compressor and Linear Phase EQ on her voice and getting to grips with the art.
    Considering the group buy, I've downloaded the entire Sonalksis demo kit and have tried to A/B the Compressor, EQ and Multi-Limiter with as near as I can get Logic equivalent.

My gut feeling is that the Sonalksis kit is smoother and more pleasant but, being a beginner, I can't tell if that's simply the psychology of playing with new technology/hype.

What is the panel's subjective experience, and is there any objective evidence for improvement?

3. Wade

Wade New Member

Objectively, the Sonalksis compressor, for instance, probably has more onboard options, but the uses and sounds of compressors are especially subjective. Assuming certain levels of basic competence in the tool (and both Logic's Compressor and Sonalksis are way past that), if one tool gives a sound you especially like, or which seems better to you in 'audio surgery' type situation, that's a good tool for you.

Whether it's a few hundred dollars better is your call. If you like the Sonalksis sound and expect you would use it all the time, it sounds like a good bet. But certainly there are no issues to worry about to do with your work quality 'suffering' or anything if you don't go to third party tools. You can travel fine with Logic's onboard tools. They're very good.
  4. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

I have some Sonalksis plugins and can confirm your impression. I find also that they sound smooth and I love them for that.

If you work on the kind of music I know from you, Sonalksis is generally a good choice. I don't know their Mastering Suite but the Essentials are classic plugins and the Dynamics Bundle is great, with the dynamic EQ as a rather special thing.
  5. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

StereoTools is stunning, but I don't know how to A-B it with 'Spreader' the parameters are different.
  6. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

You can't. Both, Logic's Spreader and Stereo Spread do other things than the StereoTools from Sonalksis. You can A-B some features with the Flux Stereo Tool which is freeware. I find it pretty good, although a bit CPU hungry.
  7. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

thanks for that hit - Flux is lovely! wow - for free, too.
    However, after 15 minutes A-B-ing the same section of a song, Sonalksis Stereo Tools make my orchestral strings sound more magical, and the whole mix seems to sit better. With Flux, I got a good effect but the strings didn't sound as rich and the mix sounded good, but nothing was really added to the sittingness IYKWIM :)

oh dear, group buy decisions comings up...

I can see myself being suckered into bulk buying because it looks so much cheaper that way - yet I haven't yet learnt the blessings of limiters and gates. Will I ever use them? < wanders off chewing a straw>