1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSD or 7200RPM external HD for storing and streaming samples, virtual instruments etc

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by malkok, Feb 21, 2014.

1. malkok

malkok New Member

Hi!

I am running Logic Pro 9 on a mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro. I am upgrading it to 16 Gigs RAM tomorrow to deal with my expanding set of virtual instruments and samples. However, my HD is also packed and I have to decide what external HD to get, to store what will soon be terrabytes of samples etc. Also, I need to be able to stream these instruments from the external HD to Logic. Now, the question is: what should I do? My budget is limited, but I would like to find out various options in order to assess whether or not I should change my mind and allocate more money to this expansion, or whether perhaps there are more cost-effective solutions.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

3. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

Are you SURE you will need to stream?

If you need capacity SSDs are not cheap, I've yet overload a 7200rpm drive even on FW400.

:cool:

4. malkok

malkok New Member

Hey,

Thanks for responding. Well, I think so, I need the external HD to store my vi instruments, but I also need to be able to load them all simultaneously into different tracks in Logic for composing. So that would mean I am streaming off of the HD, right? Or is there another very obvious solution I am missing here...

Thanks again