1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 step record triplets

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by edurbrow, Dec 12, 2012.

1. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

The triplet keeps turning itself off. Very troublesome. It may turn off after the first note or from the next beat, but I have to keep checking and doing things over. I wonder if there is some command somewhere that keeps it on until further notice.
  3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Not sure about your initial question, but a suggested work around.

Select the correct triplet value in the inspector's part box and then use the pencil tool to add as you need them.
  4. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

Thanks for that tip. I usually like to work in piano roll because it is easier to tweak the length of notes, but maybe I'll try the score window more and try that. I neglected to write that I was referring to step record mode.

There seem to be a lot of things to get right to get step recording to work. I often can't get it happening and I wonder why. You have to make sure IN is on and you can't do it in the arrange window, you have to open up piano roll or notation... There must be something else that is needed too because it seems like I do those things and sometimes I still can't get it happening. And then if you forget to turn IN off, when you are just playing or checking pitches, the notes get recorded even though step record is off. I'm still getting used to it.
  5. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Don't know if you use screensets or not - I'm still a fan of them.

My screenset 2 is a split of the score editor on top, piano roll on the bottom. That way I can see things in the score editor and edit lengths, etc. in the piano roll editor. In the score editor's view menu you can also enable duration bars to edit note lengths. In general I still prefer doing such editing in the piano roll editor.

Step record is a little tedious as you've noted. I really don't work that way, preferring to play parts in and edit as needed. My guess is your parts are more complicated than what I normally do.
  6. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

Thanks for reminding me about those. I haven't used them yet. I was doing something similar yesterday though. I have three monitors so I put piano roll on one and score on another. It is not optimal though, because I had to switch between solo and all many times so the arrange would come in front. I had to be careful I was looking at the right window too. It's easy to be entering into the violin track when you are looking at viola.

Not so complicated on this current job. Most of the time dead easy. But I want to work fast. So, I had many measures of dotted half notes in 3/4 and I just wanted to put the data in fast by step record. This is to make a score, not for performance. Every time I entered a dotted half note, the next note would switch to a quarter note. In other instances of dotted notes the dot would switch off . If I didn't watch the screen I'd be caught entering a bunch of notes of the wrong value.