Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X strange audio file behavior

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by rainguitar, Dec 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. rainguitar

rainguitar Member

I've recently switched from Logic 9 to Logic 10. Yesterday I imported an old project. Everything went fine except for one thing. On the lead guitar track there a little line 3 beats into the solo. On playback Logic remains silent until the fourth beat cutting off part of the solo. There are two other solos in the track where logic behaves in exactly the same way. In the audio bin the solo plays back fine, so it's not the file. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks,

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like automation on this track.
    Or on another track if you send this one to somewhere else.

4. rainguitar

rainguitar Member

I did check the automation and in that view it showed a small red rectangle inclosing the three beats in question, but the automation itself is static at that point. It's just a straight volume line through the file.

5. Peter Ostry

The reason for silence may be hidden.
    Try "Delete all track automation" from the Main Menu > Mix. Then play "good" and "bad" portions again. If that gives you the sound, you at least know where to search for the issue.

6. rainguitar

rainguitar Member

Can that action be reversed? I'm not sure I have much automation, if any in that project. It was actually the first one I ever did in Logic, using Logic 8 I believe. I'm not sure I understood automation at that point. But I wouldn't want to destroy it if I did.

7. Peter Ostry

Deleting automation can be reversed, yes, standard undo function.
    You can also close the project without saving it after you found out (or not) where the problem lies.
    Or work on a duplicate of the project file, just do not delete audio files from there.

8. rainguitar

rainguitar Member

OK. Thanks Peter. I've been away from Logic for a awhile and I'm pretty rusty.

9. rainguitar

rainguitar Member

Yes removing the automation doesn't change anything in the playback. The way the region actually sits on the track is a bit odd. I've colour coded the region to make it blue but the 3 beats in question appear as bright red in all three instances. If I go into the wave or automation editors it's the same thing. It's almost as if those three beats are muted. However those same files in the browser area play back intact. Nothing is muted there.

10. Peter Ostry

Oh. Never seen such a thing, cannot help.
    Hopefully someone else can jump in to solve that.

11. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

It sounds like it could be related to a region in a Take Folder being trimmed incorrectly. Usually, the take folder isn't any longer than the regions in it, but perhaps something went awry during the conversion process from 9 to X. I would open the takes up (the little triangle at the left end of the region) and drag the left end of any short takes back to the beginning of the song.

12. rainguitar

rainguitar Member

How I solved the problem was to create duplicate track below it and move the region down to it. When I did that the original was left with this little red box with nothing in it. I deleted this and then moved the region back onto the track. Then everything plays back perfectly. I't's almost like Logic X, when reformatting a Logic 9 project, decided to create a take folder where none had existed before. I've also since run into this with other Logic 9 project. It's random. Does this with some tracks and not other and most projects are not affected at all. Weird.