1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 string effects (tremolos and sul ponticellos)

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Edgold, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

I realize this brings up several questions but it is not really satisfactory the way it is in the file I'm working on in order to learn Logic.

I believe there are string tremolo samples but I do not know how to change samples in one area, if that's possible. In the case where the strings change to pizzicato from legato, the changes imported to separate areas-tracks.

I'm also not happy with the tremolo sounds which are like a machine gun. Ordinarily I'd randomize velocities but I don't know if that's possble in Logic. (I know how to change individual velocities of course.)

Also, though I can do a pretty convincing "sul ponticello" effect in other programs using CC71, I don't know how to do it in Logic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed Gold

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Which sample library and/or software instruments are you using? The answer is largely dependent on that?

PS: Miroslav Philharmonik has a nice sul ponticello cello sample.

4. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

I'm using EXS24 Violin Section 2 legato and Viola Section Legato. I also am doing a dummy file of Violins 2 tremolo and am getting nowhere with it.

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

You'd need to go into the EXS 24 instrument editor and edit the sample mapping to change the samples in a specific area of the keyboard mapping. But I don't think this is what you are after?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. But if you are working with Jam pack sounds, the easiest thing is to just assign the pizz and legato sounds to different instruments and split your regions up accordingly. If you want them all to appear in one region, use a channel splitter as your track instrument and have it connect up to the two separate Jam pack instruments. Assign each to a unique MIDI channel, and then switch the MIDI channel of the notes in your region so they get routed where you need them.

You can easily randomize velocities using the transform window. But again, I don't think this is what you are after here. I'm afraid those tremolo sounds are built into the samples. I don't know of any simple way of modifying them

Writing in CC71 is easy enough to do in the Arrange Window with region based automation. The trick is to then assign the parameter in the EXS 24 that you want it to affect. The first question is - which parameter is ti that you want to edit in the EXS 24? Once you know that, you can use regular track based automation. But I know of no parameter in the EXS 24 that will create a scratchy kind of sul ponticello effect.

Don't know if I helped any :(

6. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Actually, Eli, You've given me much to go on but I don't think I can work on it till tomorrow and the weekend.

My memory, not always reliable but usually ok, made me use the term "areas" when I meant "regions".

Having experimented with the tremolo patch, I have decided to retain the original written-out tremolos and, in these cases, randomizing the velocities does actually help a great deal. (Thanks for that information.) But no "sul ponticello" so far.

I don't much understand the EXS 24 instrument editor pop-up window and need to read up on it. As for Jam Pack, at this point I can "fuggetaboutit" but hope to get to it eventually.

7. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

This EXS24 instrument only has regular samples.
    Try out the Violins 2 (or Violins 1).

Apple has mapped many factory instruments so that different articulations are selected via Modwheel. As you move the wheel, you'll get all the different samples, including tremolo. (Also staccato, pizz and trills)

If you open the EXS24 Edit window, you can click on the Groups button and go to the local View menu. Make sure that [Group: select group by] is checked.

Then you can see the range of the modwheel where each set of samples will be selected.