1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summing Stack confusion

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by pfloyd714714, Jun 1, 2014.

1. pfloyd714714

pfloyd714714 Senior member

I'm obviously misunderstanding the relationship between Summing Stacks and the Library.

I have 5 tracks of backing vocals. I select all 5 and create a summing stack. If I now go to the top of the Main Track channel strip I can choose a setting, say, "Tube Vocal" which inserts all expected plugins but creates no sends or reverb auxes. But if I select the Main Track and choose "Tube Vocal" from the library (to the left of the Main window), the summing stack and most of my vocal tracks disappear, replaced by a single track called "Tube Vocal" but containing only one of the vocal tracks. Additionally two reverb aux channel strips are created.

What I expected would happen is that the various plugins would be added to the Main Track which would then effect all 5 tracks, and the two reverb busses would similarly send all 5 tracks to the reverbs.

Can someone explain what it is I am not understanding?

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Summing Stacks offer much more flexibility and power than Channel Strips.

If you set up an effects chain for a single track, and then saved saved it as a Channel Strip Setting, that would load into the Main track of your 5 track back ground vocals Summing Stack. That why the Channel Strip Setting version of Tube Vocal behaves as you want it to.

You could also save your custom effects chain as a Patch in the Library (like saving a channel strip in L9). That patch is now available in the Library for other Projects. But since it is a single channel strip (like the Tube Vocal Patch), it will load as such, and overwrite your Summing Stack.

With your multiple background vocals tracks, you could individually add different effects per track ( channel strip) including sends to reverb and delay. In the past, if you wanted to save this, you would have to save each channel strip separately. Now with Summing Stacks, you can save the entire multi-channel setup including sends as a Patch. In this case the Patch consists of 5 tracks, each with separate effects and sends. Call it 5 Track BG vox or similar.

When selecting this Patch, even in an empty project, it will load a 5 track Summing Stack with all of the individual effects per track. This could be handy if you know you'll be frequently working with a certain number of vocal tracks.

But it may be better to load a Channel Strip into the Main track of the Summing Stack if track count varies.

Hope that helps.

I'm sure that others can more eloquently explain this.
  4. pfloyd714714

pfloyd714714 Senior member

Yo CSeye--

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I really do appreciate it.

My confusion stems from the fact that my first experience with using a summing stack was with a single-track lead vocal. Make the stack, choose a patch from the library and poof! Plugins inserted, auxes and sends created and we're good to go. This obviously didn't work as I expected with multiple audio tracks. For that scenario I'll probably just stick with choosing a channel strip setting and creating my own auxes and sends.

Thanks again,

5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

You can always collect them in a summing stack later if you want.
  6. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

One thing you must remember is that whenever you're going to use the Library window to adjust settings you must first hit "i" to open the Inspector window (Library is too clumsy with just the mixer). The Inspector displays the selected mixer track (that might or might not be represented by an arrange track). Inside the Inspector window you see a small triangle on the left side, klick to move that triangle in order to aim the target for what is going to be replaced by what you then pick in the Library window. If aiming at the Channelstrip top level you might get a stack or a plain one-channel Channelstrip, there is no indication in the Library to indicate the difference.