1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Supernewb Seeks Assistance with Autopunch

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by LionChaser, Feb 6, 2016.

1. LionChaser

LionChaser New Member

Hey guys, many thanks in advance for the help.

I've only been using LPX for just a few weeks now, and my prior DAW experience consisted of Audacity and Garageband.

Currently working on a voice-only recording project, and I've been using AutoPunch to fix mistakes. However, this creates a very newb-confusing array of takes. I've been trying to figure out how to delete takes I don't want and consolidate the ones I do into a single track. As best I've been able to tell, 'Flatten Track' should be the command to make this happen (certainly nothing else has worked)... but it's grayed out and I haven't been able to figure out why, much less how to enable it.

If it helps, I also can't figure out for the life of me how to view the 'Take Folder', if there even is one. Again, supernewb here.

I've tried searching online forums like this one, scanned the official user manual ad nauseum, and made zero progress. Any guidance on this issue would be GREATLY appreciated!

3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

There should be a little triangle at the leftmost end of the recorded region; click on that and the takes will unfold beneath it, each on their own track. If you're zoomed in enough, you'll also see an 'A' next to the triangle, which opens the menu that actually contains the Flatten option. (I think you're looking at the greyed-out 'Flatten Stack' in the Track menu, which is something else) Next to the 'A' is another icon which toggles between blocks and scissors if you click on it. In the Blocks mode, it allows you to drag a kind of I-beam cursor over different parts of different takes to pick your fave pieces for a comp, and in scissors mode it allows you to treat the takes as individual tracks, which you can shorten, lengthen, move or delete.