1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Swing Quantize...

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Sparkle22, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Sparkle22

Sparkle22 New Member

I am trying to quantize a simple drum groove, played in midi in the piano roll - (and I really should know the answer to these questions by now!)

The groove has a busy hi hat feel and bounce - virtually identical to the intro to "Superstition" by S.Wonder

1. When I try and quantise the hats with a 'swing-A' or whatever - it hides the 32nd notes and quantizes them on top of each other. How do I increase the resolution of the Q so that ALL the notes I played are displayed and not lumped together?

2. What is the relationship between the Q drop down menu on the piano roll and the Q parameters menu in the top left corner of the screen in the inspector? Does one overrule the other? (I know the parameter menu has more features and percentage adjustments).

Thx in advance...
  3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

It might be better to use a groove template based on the actual note placement in the original as it is a human feel rather than quantised to begin with.

I haven't used this for years so I'm sorry I can't give a more detailed explanation.
  4. Eli

Eli Senior member

1. It sounds like you need to choose a different quantize value. If you are playing thirty second notes, the swing preset values won't work; they only go up to sixteenth notes. But for that type of "Superstition" style swing feel, there are no thirty second notes involved. Quantizing to 16 C or 16 D should do the trick. Or maybe somewhere in between the two. Like for example,16C with a Q-swing factor somewhere between 51% - 55%.

2. The parameters in the Region Inspector apply to the entire region that is selected. The quantizing functions in the Piano Roll editor can be applied to individual notes within the region.