1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Sync varying tempo signature

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by AppleTurnover, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AppleTurnover

AppleTurnover New Member

Need help understanding how to use multiple tempos in a single arrangement. How do I indicate a 4/4 field becomes a 3/4 tempo, with a bit of "retard" between the two. I am unable to sync the new beat with the bars, making it difficult to quantize. Put another way, I would like to delete a portion of a bar to sync with the metronome's new setting.
  3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Multiple tempi and multiple time signatures are each handled in different lists in Logic. Up in the top right corner next to the "Media" button is the "Lists" button. Click it, and there are tabs for Tempo and Signature in the Lists window. You can change the signature at the appropriate bar in the Signature window, and I usually make a ritard by copying the existing Tempo line and pasting it again, then changing the bar position and tempo before entering the copy. A ritard might end up looking like:

1 1 1 1 - 90.0000
    43 1 1 1 - 87.0000
    44 1 1 1 - 84.0000
    45 1 1 1 - 80.0000
    45 3 1 1 - 50.0000
    46 1 1 1 - 90.0000

If you're trying to make the metronome match an existing audio recording, you might have to fiddle quite a lot to get everything to line up. See that half bar of 50bpm? Sometimes you have to do a drastic tempo change for one or two beats to make it work.

4. AppleTurnover

AppleTurnover New Member

Thank you

I'll get to this in a few days and see how I do. It's new music, so I'll try doing the rhythm track first to avoid problems. Thank you for addressing my post.
  5. pfloyd714714

pfloyd714714 Senior member

If you're not trying to match an existing recording you might make tempo changes via the tempo lane in global tracks. There you can draw the tempo changes in and make them as sharp or gradual as you wish. For me it's the most "musical" method of altering tempo which Logic offers.