Logic Pro (X) Synchronizing midi to existing live recording

dougjammer

Logician
I have an ensemble recording (contemporary classical) where the piano was not miked properly. The piano is there, but too quiet. I would like to add midi piano to the live track to increase the piano sound. I need to synch it as close as possible. I realize that there will be places where the mix will not work, but I am hoping that the effect will be an improvement.

The existing recording does not have a repetitive rhythm track for easily establishing the tempo. The tempo varies frequently during each movement, so I need to establish a variety of tempi. Does anyone have some advice?

I've never done it myself, but I've read that Logic allows you to 'tap' the tempo in using the 'Tap Tempo' function:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13221?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Presumably you could tap along to the existing recording and use a click track generated in time with it to help you play closer to the right tempo when playing along. After you're done recording the MIDI piano you could go into the edit window and fine-tune the timing of individual notes that were a little off from the original.

Upvote 0
Back