1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 The best disk for Sample Libraries

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by André Baptista, Sep 30, 2009.

1. André Baptista

André Baptista New Member

When I'm using many virtual instruments, sometimes the system don't support them.
    Will be a good idea to reinstall the sample libraries in a different disk of the system? Just like we do with audio and video?

3. André Baptista

Does anybody know if is possible to install the sampler files in another disk?
    By defaut, they go to Disk>Library>Application Support>Logic>EXS Factory Samples.
    And this place is in the same disk of the system.
    My idea is to install this in another disk to optimize the access, like we do when we put system in one disk and audio files in another.

But my doubt: where in Logic we can define this location? If we move the samplers to another disk, Logic will automatically find them??

My system: Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quad Core/ 6Gb Ram/ MBox Pro Fire Wire

Thanks and sorry for my english

4. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Andre,

Yes, you can simply move the samples to another drive without problem. Logic will find them when you call up the sampler instruments from within the EXS 24.

The sampler instruments do have to remain in their specific install location. But the samples themselves can be moved amongst different drives freely.

5. André Baptista

Hi Eli,

Thanks for the answer!

Do you think, by doing this, the system's speed will improve? It's a good idea to allocate samples in a different disk of the system?

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

You won't really gain any "speed". You might gain a bit more "performance" though.

The first time you load the instruments after you move the samples it will actually be much slower. Because it will take Logic time to scan your drives and find the samples. But once it has found them, it "remembers" their location - it gets imbedded into the instrument information. So, it is only slower the first time.

It is good to spread samples onto other drives. But it's not so much for speed as it is for managing hard disk activity. In practical terms you probably won't notice much of a difference unless you are running a ton of audio tracks plus a ton of EXS instruments simultaneously. That's wen the benefit of spreading them across different drives becomes apparent.

7. André Baptista

Ok, Eli, thanks again!

Only to finish my questions:

Do you think the message: "System Overload. The audio engine was not able to process all required data in time" , which sometimes appears when I'm playing the keyboard, is caused by the placement of the samples? May I solve this problem placing the samples in another drives than the system drive?

And this drive can be the Logic sessions drive ( and the audio ) ? Or must I have another third drive, only for samples?

8. Eli

Eli Senior member

I doubt that moving your samples to another drive ill help this problem. It sounds like you're just pushing your computer processor to it's limits. It's doubtful hard drive through put is the bottle neck. It's still a good thing to do though. And certainly can't hurt.

9. André Baptista

But do you think an system like this :Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quad Core/ 6Gb Ram/ MBox Pro Fire Wire, will be in his limit easily?

This message appears randomly. Sometimes the session has tons of audios and instruments, and nothing happens. In other situations, with less charge, the message appears.

I'll try the hard drive solution.

Thank you again.

10. Eli

Eli Senior member

I have almost the same system! A dual quad core 2.8 MacPro with 6 GB of ram. It's hard to know where the problem is originating - this stuff can feel like such voodoo sometimes.

What are the core audio drivers for the MBox like these days? They have notoriously been fairly bad over the years. This could be the source of the problem. See if the same thing happens when running with the Mac Built In core audio driver.

And what is your buffer set to? If it's lower, try keeping it at a minimum of 256 and see if that helps.

11. André Baptista

Maybe the buffer set can be the problem. I use to set it at 32, to be able to record without latency problems in the headphone line. And I was expecting to keep this buffer set to all operations. If I set the buffer at 256, a small audio delay appears in the headphone line, and it is impossible to record anything.
    With 32 it's ok. But I think it is the limit of our system, isn't it?

I'm trying to believe that this Mac quad core 2.8 can handle all my productions, withou the need to buy an expensive PT HD or another stuff like that.
    My old system was an Power Mac 9600, with two 882 Digidesign, Mackie mixer, ProTools software, etc.
    I change all for this new system and Logic 8. And they are perfect for me.

But I'm dealing with these small problems yet.

I'll try all of your suggestions.

Thanks again !

12. Eli

Eli Senior member

Keep your buffer as low as you can when recording - try out the low latency mode setting. And then raise it higher when you are mixing.