Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best storage solutions?

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by Saki Kaskas, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Saki Kaskas

Saki Kaskas New Member

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a drive to store my LPX sessions and am wondering what to avoid. My system is a MacPro 5,1 mid 2010 12 core and its internal SATA connection is 3 Gb/s which I find to be slow. So I've been looking at the following options:

External SSD Drive with eSATA connection. This will require a PCIe card with eSATA ports.

or

Some kind of PCIe SSD drive like the Kingston Hyper X (http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Pred...p/B00V01C5O2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8)

Any users out there with any advice on the reliability of running LPX sessions on drives connected via PCIe?

Cheers,
    Saki

3. Saki Kaskas

Saki Kaskas New Member

I wanted to add some more information:

Currently I have 4 internal drives which are as follows:

Bay 1 - 500 GB SSD Running the OS (Yosemite)
    Bay 2 - 1 TB HDD 7200
    Bay 3 - 1 TB HDD 7200
    Bay 4 - 750 GB HDD 5600

And please remember these are connected to the older internal SATA connection which run at 3 Gb/s.

This MacPro 5,1 is equipped with USB 2.0 ports and I have a PCIe card on the way which will give me 2 USB 3.0 ports and 2 eSATA ports.

Now I just need to choose the right drive, as mentioned:

External SSD USB 3.0
    External SSD eSATA
    Internal PCIe SSD

Thanks!
    Saki

4. angelonyc

angelonyc New Member

I read in a tech mag, if you use a hard drive, you should save it in a safe enclosed airproof environment, avoid temp, sunlight and humidity changes The mylar jacket they're delivered in taped shut, and box shipped in. put in computer and play once a year or so (not sure why - so platters don't seize up.) The article speculated SSD's would make better storage, cause of no moving parts. of course.

It's also wise to stay aware of media development. (10 years from now a computer not able to read sata format, cause of new format

5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Are you looking for something to use for backup of your projects, or something to record to?

6. angelonyc

angelonyc New Member

I've been backing projects up on 7200 rpm hard drives.. Thinking of buying a OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/

putting four 7200 rpm in it.. using RAID 5 (can rebuild a failed drive) I have 10 TB of KONTAKT samples. Hope to stream KONTAKT instruments while recording and playing audio tracks of songs.

7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

For backup, I get a bare Caviar Green and put it in a simple cheap USB 3 case. Not fast, but reliable.
    But to stream samples, record, and playback: not a good idea to try doing it all on one drive. Maybe an SSD. But prices for SSDs are where you should think about using them for everything but backup.