Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Tiny plugins on Mac Book, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by oortone, Nov 20, 2010.

1. oortone

oortone Member

Is there anything I can do about older plugins getting smaller on high resolution screens?

On my current Mac Book Pro some plugins are hardly readable anymore. Logic's own plugin have the useful zoom feature under the view-popup. But most third party plugin lacks this.

Of course I can zoom the entire desktop but that's definitely not very practical.

Is there any other solution to this problem?

3. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

Until Apple allows 3rd party plugins to also resize, not much one can do.

You could use Universal Access (in System Preferences) with the zoom assigned to a key combo, just to zoom in temporarily and then zoom out, rather than changing screen resolution.

Write to Apple and make a feature request:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html

4. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

I've seen these hi res 17" screens (1920x1200) and many images are way too small. That resolution was formerly reserved for 23" screens or larger. Many people are switching them in the System Preferences to something smaller, like 1440x900 or so. I use Control-Scrollwheel to temporarily zoom in/out (it's a mouse System Preference).

5. Petrosil

Petrosil Member

This is not a matter of Apple allowing something I guess. To resize a plug-in you have to have access to the UI elements, and these are property and responsibility of the plug-in manufacturers.

Some manufacturers already allow resizing of their plug-ins, e.g. have a look at u-he Zebra 2, or NI Guitar Rig 4. So it is possible, but it seems not much manufacturers see the necessity of implementing plug-in resizing.

6. Colin Shapiro

Good point.
    So maybe it's a matter of writing to plugin manufacturers and asking them to implement this.....

7. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

This has been in the AU spec for years, and the only reason AU manufacturers haven't implemented it in abundance is because there was little to no demand for it. They would tend to design the GUI so it looked good on hi res monitors, but now we've got even higher res monitors (compared to screen size) so they have to rethink this omission.

Only the customers can create this feature demand.

8. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Given the enormous variety of Plugins and UI designs, coupled with the range of screen resolutions from 800 x 600 or at least 1024 x 768 up to 2560 x 1600, as well as screen sizes from 11" to 30" or more, it strikes me as being an area that Plugin developers would do well to pay more attention to and follow the good example of the people in Berlin..

kind regards

Mark

9. Colin Shapiro

So, how about a petition from LUG to plugin manufacturers?
    We have the potential of tens of thousands of signatures.....

10. oortone

oortone Member

So there's no other solution than changing resolution or desktop zooming then? Too bad.

At least it seems like I'm not the only one with this problem so things might get better.

I guess sooner or later, those pluginmakers who doesn't want their plugins to slowly vanish to the size of a stamp will have to do something.
    They'll all learn that using unresizeable bitmaps is obsolete and was a bad idea from start.