Logic Pro 9 too much MIDI data!

peterlemer

Logician
I downloaded this MIDIFile and none of my instruments can play it due, I'm fairly sure, to the sheer density of controller data.
Using a standard Kontakt4 sample, The first example of breakdown is end bar 3 beginning bar 4, the 'Pink Panther' bit. Notes just go missing, even though they are active when clicked in Painoroll. Ivory is a complete disaster.

the MIDIfile is attached.
The MP3 is here: http://goo.gl/ijKLE

Is there any way for Logic to thin the data/reduce automation nodes?

I'm sure there used to be back in the days....

( the setting: 'data reduction' per se is confined to recording AFAICT)

pete

Attachments

• Tawny_Phase_118_BPM_(MrSax).mid.zip
    36.6 KB · Views: 191
You can just remove the control data and be left with the notes from that MIDI file.

• Drag that MIDI file into Logic.
  • Open the Event List Editor
  • Click on the NOTES button to hide all NOTES and leave control data information
  • Select all the control data in the Event List and delete
  • Click on the NOTES button to reveal all the NOTES are still there
  • Play the MIDI file

Here's a video on how to do that in Logic.
http://www.digimixstudios.net/RemoveControlData/

Excellent video demonstration.

Thanks for posting it. :thmbup:

Upvote 0
Hi Bruno, thanks for that. I need to keep as much of the MIDI data as will make my instrument play with as much sensitivity as the demo - I'm using this as a tutorial in how to program Mr T Sax as well as the original programmer, Maciej Mulawa

pete

Upvote 0
Hi Bruno, thanks for that. I need to keep as much of the MIDI data as will make my instrument play with as much sensitivity as the demo - I'm using this as a tutorial in how to program Mr T Sax as well as the original programmer, Maciej Mulawa

pete

or you could do this, just re-record new control data to this now clean midi file that was deleted of control data.

I'm using this killer app called ThumbJam (www.thumbjam.com) and what I did in the Logic Enviroment was get the incoming MIDI from ThumbJam, discarded the NOTES and piped the CONTROL DATA into the MIDI track that I just cleaned of control data.

I extremed the vibrato and pitch just to give you an idea what you can do with this $7 app.

Have a peek...
http://www.digimixstudios.net/ReRecordControlData/

Upvote 0
bruno garza: thanks again bruno, will check out thumbJam :)

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear in my previous posts.

What I am trying to do is reverse-engineer the Sax demo by studying what Maciej actually did to get the effect on the demo. So I need all his controller data, but there is too much of it for my setup for some unknown reason. so I need to minimally pare it down so that it still performs like the demo but doesn;t fall over.

eg. If I remove too much pitchbend data, I'll get a zipper effect, which defeats the object of buying a $500 plugin :)

Sure I can wipe all the data and start from scratch - I'm experienced at that, but that's a different exercise. I want to touch/feel/hear how Maciej did it, since he's much more familiar with the plugin than I, so his control is masterly, whereas mine would be that of a newbie ( to that plugin)

pete

Upvote 0
What I am trying to do is reverse-engineer the Sax demo by studying what Maciej actually did to get the effect on the demo. So I need all his controller data, but there is too much of it for my setup for some unknown reason. so I need to minimally pare it down so that it still performs like the demo but doesn;t fall over.
I would seriously recommend downloading the User Guide to understand how the controller data is setup in Mr. Sax.
http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/files/The_Sax_Brothers_Users_Guide.pdf

eg. If I remove too much pitchbend data, I'll get a zipper effect, which defeats the object of buying a $500 plugin :)
pete
I do own "The Trumpet" from SampleModeling and it's not just pitchbend data, so no matter what you do, without Mr. Sax or The Trumpet it will be a "zipper effect" without the relevant control data information.

Hope this helps.

BTW - That ThumbJam is a great controller for synth instruments too.
Best $7 I ever spent.

Upvote 0
Back