Logic Pro 9 Torn...

anp27

Logician
Hi alls, I have an old MBP from 2007 and am looking to upgrade to the new quad core MBP.

I'm torn between the 2.0 GHZ and 2.2 model. I don't exactly have A LOT of money to spend (I am a starving musician) but I'm willing to scrimp and save in the name of music. My question is, would the 2.0Ghz suffice for about 60-70 tracks in Logic? Software instrument wise I use Abbey Road Drums (Kontakt PLayer), Stylus RMX, M Tron Pro, Reaktor (The Finger) and Kore 2 (Massive). I'm definitely going to upgrade to 8GB of Ram and I already have an SSD which I will use as the system drive, an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD. I'll be tracking a lot on the laptop, not so much mixing. Getting the 2.2 model would probably mean that I would have to wait a month (or two) to get the funds together. I don't care about graphics or anything like that, as long as Logic runs smoothly and I can use my VI's without any problems, I'll be happy. Your honest opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

If all things are equal, and using basic math, you're talking about a 10% increase in CPU power. IMHO I don't find that a significant number. You might do better to spent the money on more RAM (although you may cap out at 8?), external drive, new software instrument, whatever.

Others may view this differently, just my .02.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I read on some other forum that the 2.2ghz model actually scored higher in a benchmark test and allowed for 80-90 tracks within a session, (upgraded to 8GB of ram from 4GB). I do want better performance from the computer, and I think I can get a good price for the 2.2 model so I might just do that instead.

Upvote 0
OWC offers RAM upgrades to 16(!) GB for all the 2011 Macbook Pros, although I don't see myself upgrading to 16 anytime soon because of the cost... $1500 for a 16GB kit. The 16GB ram configuration on the 2011 MBPs have been tested by OWC and is stable, even though Apple officially only supports 8GB. I'm going to go with 8GB, and when the 8GB modules are sold, I will buy that (if it's within my budget) and have a total of 12GB ram on the laptop.

Upvote 0
Back