1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Touch Tracks Question

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by Babyinacarseat, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Babyinacarseat

Babyinacarseat New Member

Touch tracks can let you assign midi tracks to a midi note or keyboard keys.

My question is in using the environment can I automate this and have logic playback in defined order "E1, F1, E1, F1, C1," like a sequencer?

That's what I'm looking for.
    Th;)nks

3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

In this scenario you do not need to mess with the Environment.

1. Create a new Touch Tracks (T.T) object and assign an Arrange Track for it!
    2. Open the Environment Window where is the T.T object, double click it to open its dialog and drug and drop any Regions from the Arrange to the Target keys (into the T.T) you want to trigger that region(s).
    3. Mute the Source Instrument tracks (which play the source regions) to prevent double triggering which sounds as flanger FX.
    4. Select the T.T track in the Arrange and draw or live record key(triggering) notes in sequence order as you described.

Done

A.G

4. Babyinacarseat

Hey

Thanks for the help with that.

I've got one logic issue that's driving me crazy, perhaps you might know a fix?

Basically I'm using the touch tracks function setup to play on keys like normal.

The sampled tracks are in folders like normal.

Problem is that when I do a volume automation on a track, while the touch track is playing, the midi sound stops as soon as I move the slider.

This is annoying because I need to monitor the sound while creating a volume automation.

The automation still records, it's just that the sound stops during automation.

See Video demonstration:
    http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/perrycomo/?action=view&current=Example1.mp4

5. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

I see, the problem is quite understandable - you just modify the touch tracks (source track) information in real time! That's why Logic stops the monitoring!
    To fix the problem you need a "Third Party" Environment control - look at the image below. I have created a helper track named "CC#Autom IN" which is assigned to the Environment Monitor object which is my IN gear object in this scenario. You can cable lots of Environment faders which can control different parameters in the channel strip without modifying the source track information etc. I have packed a short song demo of that example Environment gear where I toggle (the yellow region) the ES2 "Motifs 1 & 2" regions via the Touch Tracks object.

A.G

T.T Environment Gear Automation - DOWNLOAD DEMO

[​IMG]

6. Babyinacarseat

Solved!

Your example file was helpful, even though I'm a novice user
    I found a way of adding additional faders and wiring
    them into the CC# Autom IN Monitor object. I plan on using a
    B-control for real time editing.

How long have you been using logic, are you an Apple certified trainer?

Thanks again.

7. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

I see your idea. Long time ago (during L5) I developed a small Macro Tool named "Parameter Hunter (PH)" which supports "Learn" feature and "Feedback" feature for such controllers as B-Control. I.e you do not need to create hundreds of faders in the Environment. PH is an universal tool which can be learned very quickly via CC# to a given Logic Plugin parameter and the "Feedback" feature allows you when mouse move some Logic parameter to send that value back to the B-Control as CC# to refresh the B-control knob to that value (Logic CA does not support this "Feedback" feature for B-ctrl, though Cubase does) unless you use something like LC which is not the same.

I'm a very long Logic user (say from the times of the Notator) and I'm not a certified trainer cause I do not need such levels at all. If you are good in anything you can be useful, if not - no certified levels or papers (got anyhow) will make you better...

A.G

8. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

True, A.G., but being a Certified Trainer allows you to teach Apple Certified Logic courses and administer tests to students to become Apple Certified Pros. That is the reason for its existence, not prestige.

9. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

I agree with you Jay. As far as I remember you know me for very long time and what I may say is that I receive multiple monthly Emails to train people personally online ( currently I do not have time or interest to make physical courses though I can do that any time I want ) - does not matter if I'm an Apple Certified or not. I guess the people in question want to get extra knowledge which they can not find in the courses you are talking about. Another question is that most of my methods are just Audiogrocery TM and no "Midi Demystifiers" or trainers can come into that...

My best,

Vacheto (A.G)