1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Track Names

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by peterlemer, Feb 7, 2010.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

I have assumed that Arrange tracks can refer to a singe mixer strip and that they can be named individually in Arrange. Am I wrong?

In some instance, I make a new name and it works, in others it insists on keeping the Mixer strip name although when I select 'Create track name' the name I want is revealed until I Enter, at which point it reverts to the Mixer name. The wanted name is also revealed when I click on the Arrange track name.

Can someone advise?

3. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Logic offers an immense amount of flexibility when it comes to track naming...which of course means lots of room for confusion and complexity. The point of Logic's functionality is to allow Arrange tracks to 1) have multiple names, so that you can have, for example, a track named after both it's content and it's channel strip setting, and 2) have a completely separate mixer channel name, in case you want to name things differently on the mixer. Personally, I want much less functionality: I want one single name to propagate everywhere, no matter what. I find it's gotten far easier in Logic 9, but there's still room for confusion (as you found).

Here is what I find works:
    1) Check Arrange > View > Track Names and make sure that "auto" is selected and only one name, not two is selected.
    2) only add names via double-clicking in the text field. This is very important, because the various commands refer to the text fields in specific elements (for example, the track name is not the channel strip name, etc) but when you double click in the text field in "auto" mode, the name should propagate everywhere.

I find this works most every time for the simple, straightforward naming I want. Just remember to never activate more than one name, always keep the naming on "auto," and always double-click in the text field, not to use commands.

4. ankely

ankely New Member

That was very helpful !!!

Helped alleviate my confusion too !!

5. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Thanks Orren for prompt reply! :)

> 1) Check Arrange > View > Track Names

I have L9 and I don't see that option there.

ah! you must mean 'Track Header Configuration'

But I WANT the names to proliferate! :)

I want to be able to create many versions of the same music, both as MIDI and as bounced audio, and I want to keep the various files that I send to the client clearly labelled in Arrange. But I don't want to have lots of Software Instrument channel strips for this when I can have one.

Yes I can label the Regions, but this is a long song, including a drop-in section, and some of my regions are too small to read any legend. Much easier to name the track. eg. ' Original Strings' 'Strings Intro Edit''Strings intro Bass' and so on without having to create a fresh channel strip and instantiate each one with the same instrument.
  6. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Go Track>New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument (option command S). That should be what you want, if I understand correctly. All tracks created thusly will relate to original channel strip and can have unique names. Beware that track parameters such as volume and pan are shared. Might be best to add any of this as RBA.
  7. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

good approach, but all my channels are already occupied with originals and edits in a bit of a mess so rather than create new ones, I've been busy re-labelling the existing, and the advice given here has helped me do that, so thanks all!