Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 transposing MIDI software instruments

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Edgold, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

:brkwl: I'm feeling more ignorant than ever especially since I've barely cracked the mysteries of the notation (score) window.

But I want to have, for example, clarinet in Bb instruments displaying a major second higher so that a C sounds as a Bb etc. The transposing area in the inspector doesn't allow for this as far as I can see, only allowing octave and larger transpositions.

As for MIDI thrus and region parameters, I don't get it. Where would I find these? (I'm basing this on another thread.)

And why does the string bass track, set to the generic "string ensemble pizzicato" transpose (correctly, in fact!) down an octave when I haven't set up transpose at all? Has Logic read my mind? It never has before!

Duh!

3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

The transposing area in the inspector for the arrange actually transpose the sound, and is nothing to do with the score. It will indeed transpose in multiples of semitones, not just octaves. Click just to the right of the word Transposition for semitones. If you click further to the right you just get octaves.

Quite a handy and time saving feature.

For score display transpose in the score you need to use Staff styles (see the score chapter in the manual). I don't think there is a specific clarinet style, but Bb trumpet would do the same thing. Or you could duplicate it and rename clarinet
    The region parameters are the parameters you get in the upper half of the Inspector in the arrange (e.g. transposition is a region parameter).

The lower half of the Inspector shows the track parameters

4. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Thanks Pete,

I see. It works well enough to do it non-graphically and the score has the proper notation and plays at the proper pitch.

Ed