1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Transposition problem

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by sus4, Dec 20, 2015.

1. sus4

sus4 Member

Well another problem just developed. I continued to enter the 1st trombone part and it's playing back a half tone lower than written. Opening the Score Editor the notes are written correctly, but are playing back wrong. This is just happening in this one section. The previous section is fine. I must have hit something inadvertently. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Check the Track menu under "Global Tracks" and see if you have done something to the Transposition Track accidentally. (If the Global Tracks aren't visible, click the little triangle-in-a-box thingy just to the left of the marquee ruler)

Alternatively, if you have been using pitchbends (it *is* a trombone part, after all!) maybe an uncancelled pitchbend command is still hanging and needs a Pitchbend 0 64 inserted in the Event List.

4. sus4

sus4 Member

Sonnykeyes, thanks for responding. I checked the Transposition Track under Global Tracks and the line is set to 0.
    If there is an uncancelled pitchbend command still hanging there how would I insert a Pitchbend 0 64 in the Event List?

What is odd is when I Solo the trombone track it's playing back the correct note. When I play is back with another trombone or any other instrument it's playing back a half tone flat. So soloing the trombone track it plays back fine, but playing it back with another track it plays back wrong.

5. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

That's very odd. Perhaps there's an uncancelled Pitchbend command on the Trombone's MIDI channel that has weaseled its way into other tracks..? Click on the List Editor (4th icon from the right in the top right corner) and look through the MIDI info at the point where the 'bone goes out of tune to see if there's a stray Pitchbend somewhere. (Make sure Pitchbend is being displayed by clicking it if it's not already blue)

6. sus4

sus4 Member

I opened the List Editor, Pitchbend is blue and I don't see anything odd unless I I'm not reading it right.
    I checked every track in the song with List Editor and did not see Pitchbend listed.

7. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

I'm out of ideas for finding out what happened, so I'd move on to simply re-recording the offending section to see if that fixes it!

8. sus4

sus4 Member

Well, I placed the same issue on 4 websites dealing with Logic Pro X and you're the only one who responded. I guess everyone else is stomped too, but at least you tried and I appreciated that.
    I'll try your suggestion about re-recording that track and I'll let you know what happens.
    Thanks again.

9. sus4

sus4 Member

I tried re-recording the offending section and it's not working. This is crazy. I never had a problem like this,
    I'll keep trying.

10. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Sus4 - there is a region transpose in the region inspector, a track transpose in the track inspector and a staff style transpose that's affects only the score. But are all inter-related. I could do a video and show you all the variants but so much can affect your issue.
    Any chance you can send your project to greg@volovic.com or post a link of your project on this site? Happy to take a look. The reason you have not received a response (imho) on the 3 sites is the question is somewhat general with many permutations on a solution- if you want a solution quickly, post a sample of your project - and you will get the correct solution from one of us pretty quick. Hope that makes sense and you take my comment positively.

11. sus4

sus4 Member

Volovicg, thanks for your response and yes I do take your comment positively. I just erased the 2nd trombone part which is where I think the problem lies so I'll have to re-record it which won't be a problem because I have the entire arrangement in Sibelius. I'll do this tomorrow and get in touch with you then and thanks again for the response.