1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial books

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Christopher Pratt, Dec 17, 2014.

1. I've used Logic since Notator Creator days and would like to purchase a definitive SCORING tutorial book as I get frustrated by the silly little things that I know the program can do but I can't. What suggestions. Eli help?!?!
  3. Antaren

Antaren Member

HI Christopher: I've used 2 books. The first is an oldie but a goodie:
    "The Logic Notation Guide" by Johannes Prischl. The 2nd is new: "Scoring with Logic Pro" by Jay Asher.

I used "The Logic Notation Guide" extensively, and have just recently purchased Jay's book.

Hope this helps.
  4. Karen,
    The Jay Asher book has not had a glowing crit. but it does deal with Logic X which does seem to have moved on from previous versions (although the basic notation aspects hark back to Notator Creator. What do you think of it??)
    I got thoroughly trounced by daring to suggest that Logic has conceded notation to Sibelius. I think, however, that Logic's intuitive interface is STEETS ahead of the competition!
  5. Antaren

Antaren Member

I just got Jay's book, so I have no impressions yet. If I said "worked with" I should have said "purchased."

I have also used Logic since the Notator days, and have created a choral songbook with it, that looks pretty darn good.

6. Antaren

Antaren Member

And Jay Asher has an update for Scoring in Logic X that's about $3 and change on Amazon Kindle.

7. Karen,
    I see that you have clearly read Hitchhiker and thoroughly approve. Douglas Adams rules!! Sorry about STEETS. Should of course be streets! Do you think that your old book would still be worth getting? I'm a notation expert but very much a surface scratcher with Logic. If I can get it to do what I want - fine. I just don't then pursue it for its own sake. Lazy I guess.0
  8. Antaren

Antaren Member

The Logic Notation Guide" by Johannes Prischl is very deep. It might help you with "silly little things" or it sounds like you can write your own book!

9. Music theory teacher- expert.
    Computer dabbler- definitely NON expert😊
  10. Antaren

Antaren Member

11. Eli

Eli Senior member

It's not a book, but you could give Doug Zangar's video series a look. It deals with Logic's Score functions in great detail. It was created in the time of Logic Pro 9, but is almost entirely still relevant to LP X:

12. Antaren

Antaren Member