1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultralite mk3 vs 2408

Discussion in 'Studio Techniques' started by Rafa, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Rafa

Rafa Senior member

Hi guys,
    Is there any way to know the difference between the converter on a 2408, which is at least 3 years old, and the one in the Ultralite mk3?

The reason why I'm asking is because I want to use my Drawmer 1968, and I'm wondering if the 2408 will be worth the drive all the way to the studio instead of using my Ultralite at home.

The project was recorded in 96/24

3. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

Checked the MOTU site. Looks like the Traveler Mk III and Ultralite MK III have similar converters/clocks. Unlike the PCI products, the FW/USB interfaces don't have S:N or pico-second type published specs, but the marketing discusses an anti-jitter feature that sounds good. If you had access to an HD192, I would make the trip. When you have more time, perform an "ear" test between the two units and let everybody know what you think. I use both a 2408 MkIII and an older MOTU 1224 interface, among others. The specs on the older 1224 converters are better than the 2408, so newness doesn't count for everything. But the 2408 does 96K, and the 1224 is limited to 48K. Your Ultralite hits 192K and has some great DSP features.
  4. Rafa

Rafa Senior member

I'll do that the next time I'm there. But for now what I can tell you is that Ultralite worked fine for parallel compression on drums and bass compression, but not on the vocals. The roundtrip from the DAW out to the compressor and back to the DAW really took a lot of "air" and presence from the vocals, it sounded like someone threw a blanket over the singer!

I'll keep you posted when I have more information.

Thanks Juan!