1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Unacceptable bug for a "Pro" application

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by madelefant, Apr 2, 2016.

1. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

I've dealt with this bug as best I can through several upgrades. Its the issue where there is a sudden delay (monitoring) of something on the order of 500 ms. Well the final straw just happened. During recording, the recorded audio, upon playback were suddenly delayed on the order of .500 ms. I can't see how this is in anyway acceptable for a "Pro" application. How is it possible this is still going on? This problem has been reported by many. It isn't new or isolated. How can apple call Logic a professional application with this kind of random behavior? I'm using the latest version on a 2012 mac mini i5 2.5 ghz with 8 gb ram. I've heard the nonsense about you need an i7 and all this. There's no excuse for unpredictability without feedback whatever the case.

3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

4. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

No not at all. This is an issue, where you are using Logic Pro X, and all of a sudden, after functioning normally a huge delay is produced on any thing currently being processed. I had experienced it mostly before when using aux inputs as live inputs going through plugins (i.e. live processing). It goes from a small delay (milliseconds) to something like a half of a second. I had never had it manifest itself in audio I was recording. Just recently that happened. The newly recorded audio had been recorded with this huge delay.

5. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Been using Logic since 1.0 and never had that.

6. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

I've seen it described by other. I think the issue most likely has to do with live aux inputs (i.e. real time processing of plugins) and they way current version of OS X and Intel processors handle processor load. I've been using Logic since version 3 something and I never saw it until I started using aux inputs. The thing is, when this happened last, although my input was into an aux input, I had no plugins running on the input.

I set up Aux inputs with live processing for use as a simple live performance (Electric guitar and voice) so not a big load but with several plugins and real time I'm sure the load can still be significant. So I re route the aux inputs (2 channels) to audio input channels and record it there. Its kind of real time performance tool that I can also make a recording from.

Mike

7. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Have you tried creating an Input channel strip in the Environment for that purpose instead of an aux? Probably not only less problematic but less latency.

8. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

I'll have to try that. I leapt from 7.2 to to X. Somewhere in 7.2 or something aux inputs were introduced and touted as live processing inputs (i.e. real time plugins) so that was how I set it up. I wasn't sure that if I set it up as input channel strips I could recorded the plugin processing or if it was just represented in the monitoring. (to rephrase, the way I did it, the plugin processing is recorded to the audio track, not just a monitoring feed).

Mike

9. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

You will get the same result by putting the plug-ins on the Input channel strip and setting the audio track input to it.

10. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

The only time I've seen delays, other than the usual latency, is with plugins intended to be used on the master channel that don't report values for latency compensation. Some of the UAD and iZotope plugins did this.

11. GaryJackson

GaryJackson Member

I had the issue from time to time. However I tweaked my buffer/sample size or whatever it's labeled in the audio preferences section. Also changed some of my 12 cores to dedicate a few cores to the OS and limit what logic used to 8 cores and it solved the issue. Never had it since. A partner studio told me that the OS if deprived of resorses can cause they issue, I tried and it seemed to solve the issue. Still an i5 mini would start to have issues depending on how many tracks. My MacBook Pro i7 with 16 gig ram starts to get shaky when you hit 40 tracks of audio. The 12 core Mac Pro usually kills it though. Anyway understand your frustration, it's a pain specially when you have a work flow and clients in the studio. Makes us look stupid and its not even our fault, it's the nature of software. I've even had issues with pro tools of a similar nature! Just download pro tools first for free to test it out and what a complete car wreck that is. :-(

12. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

What sort of buffer gave you problems at 40 tracks on the i7? As a test I set up a project with 192 tracks all playing audio at once at 24/48. 24 had eq and compression. They were sent to 18 busses each with a limiter. At peak, activity monitor showed 4% CPU for the OS and 14% for logic. This is with a 1024 buffer. This is a late 2009 iMac with i7 and 16G and a FW800 drive for audio.

Hitting the limit at 40 tracks has to be either a drive bandwidth contention issue or a very small buffer. Or a load of CPU hungry plugins.

13. GaryJackson

GaryJackson Member

Well when recording I'd run my buffer really low for latency reasons on my Mac Pro, like 64, but when mixing I usually run it at 256 or 512. I mean I have a Mac Pro 12 core, 32 gig's ram, ssd's, gtx670. But I did have the thread issue also on that machine. On my mobile rig I will run a 512 buffer, thunderbolt to a UA Apollo unit. 40 tracks with FX which mainly run through the Apollo. Don't get me wrong, I can get past 40 tracks but it can be unstable is what I kind of meant. But I didn't have the thread issue on the MacBook. Just on the Mac Pro which did make me think it could be an interface issue or driver issues rather than logic, but hey it's pretty hard to nail these types of issues down. Hard to get to the bottom of, specially when its intermittent.

14. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

I appreciate when people try to help, but yea, it isn't a interface latency issue. It ends up at something like .500 MS delay. What I understand to be the case, is the mini's, and very possibly anything but the PRO tower, reduce processor speed or work when the machine gets heated up. There should simply be feedback when it happens so you can adjust accordingly.

15. GaryJackson

GaryJackson Member

I didn't say it's an interface issue but I wouldn't discount the possibility until your trouble shooting has eliminated that particular component. I have issues from all of my crazy fast pro gear, I believe it's likely driver and software issues most of the time. Those are the issues I have most of the time and it's super frustrating that's for sure. Now that being said it should be relatively easy to trouble shoot the issue unless it's extremely intermittent behaviour.

I've been able to get to the bottom of mine, at some expense to my sanity sometimes.