Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding benefit of external drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by larryphoto, Jun 22, 2012.

1. larryphoto

larryphoto New Member

I'm in the process of transferring my Logic to a new computer - an iMac with 1TB of memory. It will be used exclusively for Logic.

Since I have so much space, does it make sense to still keep my loops and songs on a separate external drive - or to just keep everything on the iMac? I'm just trying to understand the pros/cons so I can figure out my best course of action.

Any suggestions/info would be appreciated!!!

Rock on...
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Depends on how you work and how dense your projects are. If you are really pushing your system (ie: lots of soft synths using lots of voices with lots of big sample sets all loaded in simultaneously, and/or lots of audio files/tracks being read simultaneously, and/or lots of physical I/O and recording lots of multiple tracks simultaneously, and/or lots of software instruments that stream part of the sample set rather than loading them all into ram, and/or working with QT video simultaneously) then yes, allocating resources across multiple drives will be of benefit.