1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Unitor 8 doesn't show up in Inspector

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by peterlemer, Sep 21, 2011.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

I haven't used the interface except as an input and it's worked fine, plus AudioMIDI setup pane looks as usual - but Unitor 8 3.1 no longer appears in my track inspector and I can't get it to output MIDI, even on ch 1. A quick trawl shows that it is a rosetta app. but I am still in Snow Leopard, and U8 also shows up in Activity Monitor.

In fact, I can't even get MIDI out from my RME Fireface! Is this an environment issue? Logic tells me RME MIDI port no longer exists.

All testing done with MIDI cable tester.

It looks as though I might have 2 separate issues here

What might be the problem, and what happens when I upgrade to Lion?

3. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

re: Unitor 8 and RME Fireface don't show up in Inspector
  4. pfloyd714714

pfloyd714714 Senior member

Hey there Peter

So you have two MIDI interfaces--the Unitor and the RME, right? Are you using both at the same time? Are they both connected in AMS? You also say that the Unitor "no longer shows up in my track inspector." Where in the inspector should it appear?

I have what is, perhaps, a similar problem. I have two MIDI interfaces but I'm not clear on how to choose which interface and which port is to be used by a specific track.

5. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

What do you mean by "Unitor 8 3.1" ?
    Are you referring to the software version of the Unitor? You might mean v1.3.1 for an old Unitor MkI (Unitor 2's can run v2.0.4)

You must first set up your hardware in Audio MIDI Setup. (I'll assume this is all news - pardon if this is all obvious)

The Unitor 8 must be cabled in the MIDI Studio window in the same way that the physical connections are made.

So for example:
    Let's say you have a Roland JV2080 connected to the Unitor Port 1 via MIDI cables - both IN and OUT should be connected.
    In Audio MIDI Setup, you should have a Unitor object and a JV2080 object. Drag a cable from the JV2080 out to Port 1 on the Unitor object. Do the same with all connected hardware.
    (It's a good idea to Save the completed setup)

Now, in Logic's Environment, make sure you have a Multi-Instrument for the JV2080. Go to the Inspector and select Port 1 - it should already be called JV2080 as a result of the cabling you just did. All empty ports will be shown as Unitor8 Port 2 etc.

If you want to use channel 1 of the JV2080, click on the little block marked 1 to enable it. Then drag that little block to a track in Logic's Arrange window - it will now address Unitor 8 Port 1 (the JV2080 channel 1).
  6. Colin Shapiro

Follow the advice above to set up both your interfaces.

Let's say your Multi-Instruments are on a separate layer in the Environment called "Hardware".
    You can also select which piece of gear is addressed as follows:

Control-Click on the Track name in Arrange.
    Select [Reassign Track]
    From the menu, select the Hardware layer and then the target (eg JV2080) and then the channel.

You should be able to address all connected hardware in this way.
  7. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Jim and Colin - I have removed what I called the Unitor - my apologies - it's actually an AMT8! I never look inside my rack so its name escaped me.

So I'm only dealing with the Fireface800.

It shows up in my Audio MIDI setup and is cabled correctly to my MIDI meter.

Logic/prefs/Audio shows Fireface800 as a Core choice and is selected.

The Fireface correctly process Audio I/O

What I mean by 'Inspector' is the 'I' top left of the arrange window. the MIDI output there only shows MIDI channel assignments - no ports at all.

the Core audio box is grey.

I am used to seeing Fireface800 as a port of choice - at least I think that's what I'm used to - it's one of those things ( like the name of my MIDI interface) which I haven;t had to think about for ages.

If I simply choose the only option - either a single MIDI channel or 'All' MIDI channels, I get no MIDI coming out of the FF.

That could be because the FF MIDI out is broken, but I was having the same non-response when I had the AMT8 connected as well.

My recollection is that I could choose either AMT8 or FF as MIDI outputs under the 'Core audio' selection.

Additionally, when I load a song which had an instrument track allocated to FF, the song opens with an alert saying something like ' FF800 is no longer available'

Unlikely to be an Environment problem, as this shows up in all the songs I open.

Being universal, I suspect something iffy in my Logic prefs, or something broken with Audio MIDI setup.

(later) ah! there's a new version of Audio MIDI setup

(later) apparently it's v3.0.4

but buggered if I can find where to download it :-(

I've re-installed the FF800 driver with no success.

A big mystery. I've also posted this on the RME forum

8. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

In Audio MIDI setup - there is an icon for Fireface 800 (398) connected to outboard digital piano ( which sends MIDI to Logic successfully). But in 'info' the text 'device is online' is grey and so is the checkbox.
  9. Colin Shapiro

You probably have a track selected which is assigned to an Audio Instrument. (The channel strip looks like an Audio channel strip)

You need to have a track in the Arrange that is assigned to either an Instrument or a Multi-Instrument. You need one of these objects in your Environment window before you get anywhere. Open the Environment window, go to the [New] menu and select of these two. A new object will appear. Drag it to an Arrange track.

Get that done first and maybe all your problems will be solved.
  10. pfloyd714714

pfloyd714714 Senior member

OK--a slightly different take. Let's say I'm recording a Logic VI. How can I choose which MIDI interface and which port is being used to route the info from the keyboard to the track? I don't see in the Inspector where this can be specified.

11. Colin Shapiro

Logic's internal instruments are...internal. As such, they don't need MIDI ports. All you might need to do is set the channel, if the plugin is Multi-timbral and can accept more than one channel.

Your keyboard is configured in Audio MIDI Setup. Logic will recognise input from the keyboard. Read up in the Logic manual about the Physical Input object (page 1134). You'll find this object in your Environment, in the Click & Ports layer. At it's most basic, it should be cabled to an object called "Sequencer Input" (or maybe "to Recording & Thru" if you're working off an old Logic Autoload song). Then you simply choose the VI/plugin instrument in the Arrange window.
  12. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

You probably have a track selected which is assigned to an Audio Instrument. (The channel strip looks like an Audio channel strip)

This is true. However, I am sure ( bangs head on keyboarfhfdouh) that I used, as a matter of course, to be able to route an AI track to external MIDI.

Am I bonkers? Perhaps all this plugin malarckey is getting to me....

13. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Only scanned the thread, so pardon ignorance in answer - but, here's how it works for me.

IF you want to use a Logic Instrument track to address an external instrument, you must first insert the External Instrument plug-in. An interface opens up and you can select MIDI i/o routing and set a volume level. The output routing reflects what is in the default MIDI Instr. environment layer. So you need to create either a single or multi-instrument and that's where the port is selected (and channel if desired).

Attached Files: