1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X unlinking linked tracks in v. 10.2.2

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by edurbrow, Sep 11, 2016.

1. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

I am not sure I know the correct terminology, but tracks that are created as takes, when unpacked, are linked in terms of volume and pan. This drives me crazy. If I'm trying to build up a chorus, for example, and I want to adjust the pan and volume, they all move together.

Sometimes the same thing happens with patches where I want a patch that is similar, so I use the duplicate track button, but then they are tied together. That doesn't always happen, but I cannot pinpoint the behavior I am doing when it does or doesn't.

Thanks in advance,
  3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Regarding unpacking the takes folder, Apple explains the options here:
    Logic Pro X: Unpack take folders

Based on your description, you're selecting Folder > Unpack Take Folder to Existing Tracks.
    In this situation, "Any edits made to one of these tracks will be reflected in all others."

The option you want is: Folder > Unpack Take Folder to New Tracks.
    "Edits can be made to each of the tracks independently."
  4. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

I'll make a note of that. Is there an easy way to disassociate tracks that are linked by accident? An unlink command?
  5. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

I'm pretty sure the tracks are linked by design.
    In the File menu>Project Settings>Recording, there are options for how to handle Overlapping Recordings, with Cycle off or on.

In either case, the available options will link all newly created tracks to the original channel strip. As seen in the attachments, the tracks are linked to Audio 1 channel strip. That's just how Logic works.

To achieve your objective of building up a chorus, set the Project Settings>Recording>Overlapping Recordings to Create Take Folder. Once you're finished recording your takes, then use Unpack Take Folder to New Tracks to have discrete tracks over which you'll have independent control of volume, pan, and inserted or sends effects.

Attached Files: