Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updates = Pulse

Discussion in 'The Moan Zone' started by charlie, Jun 11, 2009.

1. charlie

charlie Senior member

I just read a short thread in the Logic Wish List basically asking Apple to come out with an update. ANY UPDATE. ANY signs that there is life (and NOT iLife, snark snark,) within the halls of Apple for their one pro audio app.

And I know I'm entering a flame-circle here but I don't care.
    Enough is enough already. Apple needs to step up if only to make a few feature improvements and a few bug-fixes to let the user base know that
    SOMETHING is going on there for us LUG'ers... Perhaps Apple could do something simple every few months and say, release small EXS sample packs or the top 10 user-submitted Logic synth patches or the like.
    Anything to show there is a pulse in Cuppertino, Ca.

Ok, I can sense the Flamers getting ready to fire. BRING IT.
    Tell me how "this is the way Apple always has been with Logic" and "Logic works GREAT, it needs NO improvements," or "Quit yer bitchin', if ya don't like it, use something else!!" or, "Apple doesn't care, they make iPhones now!"
    But while there might be a nugget of truth in these comments, they are just not constructive. Why do most of you complacently drink the Apple CoolAid? :eeek:
    Pro Audio apps need (as ANY computer software does,) some sort of bug-fixes/ up-dates/ improvements to work well with the hardware they run on.
    Case in Point: last night my auto-update for my antique Microsoft Word 2004 fired up! Version 11.4.x loaded to my old PowerBook while I ate dinner.
    That program is about 5 years old but it still (apparently) gets updates!!
    I thought it was amusing that it gets updated but Logic does not.

Also there is the competitive factor. Other programs are doing things that Logic cannot do well. Is this a big deal? Well, it depends...
    I have many friends who use Pro Tools for everything they do and was impressed with how DigiDesign /Avid has stepped up to make PT more Logic-like with lots of new software synths and plug-ins. And their time-stretching program seemed pretty cool as well.
    Bottom line is that there is GROWTH with PT; a sense that they are trying to build a competitive audio program to trounce their competition. To me, that's great. It's an example of a company listening to their user-base and attempting to release their program that is diverse and to broaden their base.

None of us Logic Users can claim to embrace that feeling from Apple.
    I think they should just sell Logic back to the private sector. Let a small company take it who has everything to loose with its failure but everything to gain with it's success. Logic would be a vibrant evolving product that would have an expanding user-base and competitive development. :cool:

So... Bring on the deluge telling me how wrong I am. GO! :thmbup:

Charlie "He Who Wears Thick Coat" Eisenhardt
  3. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

The simple reality is that if Apple had not bought Emagic, there would be no Logic now as Emagic had financial issues. It would have gone the way of Opcode.
  4. leytonnz

leytonnz Senior member

if the new paradigm is : 'building tribes' and 'added value' then apples attention to logic is built of "failsauce" ( quote CR)..

if that is the new paradigm

i also believe they are rewriting the whole thing as 64bit so that must be a bit time -consuming.. no excuses though..
    my system is a bit wobbly at the mo but i dont have enough downtime to do a decent troubleshoot.. and yes there are lots of niggly bits they could fix as incremental updates..god knows what there strategy is? ( that's a rhetorical question)
  5. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

at least we were able to visit hamburg, talk to the lads, invite them to gigs and build relationships. We knew their names, they knew ours.

What have we got with Apple? It's like the -ing wall of china.

6. charlie

charlie Senior member

Yeah... And yet I know it means little to bitch about it here. Usually, I get fired up on this issue & do the one constructive thing I can think of: I send my thoughts to Apple to their Logic Feedback link.
    (I picture this as an old Mac Quadra 650 in a broom closet in the basement of the Cupertino fortress... Once every 18 months one person comes down to retrieve the complaints and it gets presented to the Powers-that-be...) --Then, an update happens...

At any rate; here it is one more time... Fire away, people!! ;)

It's our right to want to see Logic continue to grow!
  7. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

True, but like it says, the moan zone is there if you have something to get off your chest ;)

Very good :thmbup:

No arguments there :)

kind regards

8. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

salvo fired. thanks for the link. <crosses fingers>

c'mon folks.... LOBBY!

9. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

But you still can visit Hamburg, talk to the lads, invite them to gigs, and build relationships!

The same people work at the Apple Pro Audio office as worked at "Emagic, Inc." The same people working on Logic in 1999 are still working on Logic in 2009. A few people have moved to Cupertino and work here in California. And there has been a little bit of natural turnover—retirements, moving, etc—but the same team is at work as was before, working in the same building. In other words, if they took your calls before, there's no reason they wouldn't now. :thmbup:

Really, I think we all agree that more communication from Apple would be great. I don't think any user feels that Apple is communicative. But don't mistake "corporate communication policy" with the personalities of the people involved. Maybe they would be "tighter lipped" and not tell you about future developments, whereas ten years ago they would, but certainly they wouldn't refuse to continue or form relationships based on who signs their paychecks. They're the same great guys that they always were, even if the rules of the office have changed. :)

10. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Gerhard and Chris are still involved? If so, in which centre?