Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD, need advice

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by chalkncheese, Jun 28, 2015.

1. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

Hi

I am starting get more frequent processing alerts, and 'hangs' using Logic Pro X on My Mid 2012 MacBookPro using the internal drive only, and I need to reconfigure the drives. After some research it seems sensible (but tell me if I am wrong) to consider a SSd to replace the existing 750GB internal drive to hold OSX and applications and move the existing HD to the replace the the CD slot which I seldom use, and use this HD to store the audio data, loops, instrument software samples etc; and perhaps get a superdrive for the few times I need to use it.

I would like to know (i) is my strategy workable in the context of using LPX plus NI, Spectrasonics, East West software instruments and (ii) advice on how to size the SSD. Perhaps someone has done exactly this and can provide feedback.

Thanks and regards to all

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Hello,
    If you haven't already done so, do a search on the OWC data doubler 2012 MacBook Pro.
    A Data Doubler in my 2010 i5 MBP is without any issues since installation.

Replacing your internal drive with a SSD hd is a wise decision.
    The question is what capacity? Anything less than 500GB seems limiting unless you're certain that OSX and applications take up much less than say, 256GB. It's still good practice to have a minimum of 15% hard drive capacity as free space. 256GB minus15% = 38.4GB. You'd have to be certain that you're not going to exceed 217.6GB of storage on the internal drive.

Other things to consider:
    1. You can certainly install your current internal drive in the Data Doubler. A better recommendation would be to get a second SSD drive for your large sample libraries.
    2. What is the rpm of your internal drive? If it's 7200, then you can use as an external project hd. If it's 5400, then I would use it as an external backup drive for critical user data.

Bottom Line:
    Two internal SSD drives: one for OSX and apps; the other for your sample libraries
    One external 7200 mechanical drive to record your projects to.
    One external backup drive. Over time, more will be needed.

The above is based on my experience.
    Others here may have a divergent perspective.

4. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

Thank you very much CSeye, seems to be a perfect answer, now I know which way to go.