Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD on Mac Pro for running Logic

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by Andrew Harrison, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Andrew Harrison

Andrew Harrison New Member

Hi all,

I've got an older Mac Pro 1,1 (bought in 2008), and I'm about to upgrade the 250 GB HD that came with the machine to a 3TB Western Digital Caviar Black. My various bits of software - Logic, NI things, are running slowly these days due the main drive being almost full now. I have two main questions:

1. Will the older Mac Pro's work with a HD that is bigger than 2TB?

2. I'm going to upgrade to a new Mac Pro in about twelve months. Will these new Mac Pro's also work okay with a 3TB HD? The Apple store people told me that they can only recommend that I stick with 2TB, which seems pretty damn limiting these days!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers
    ANDREW

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

I'd say just try it. You can always reclone to a 2tb drive if you have to.

4. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

I upgraded my startup drive this last year to a 512gb Crucial SSD. It was like buying a new computer in terms of the raw speed boost. I'd say go that route assuming you have enough storage using other drives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

I as well: a 240 GB for system and a 500 for samples and recording. My laptop boots up in 20 seconds, Logic in about the same, VERY fast.

The bad thing: SSD's have no warning when they die. I had one DOA on install and another worked 1 second and not the next.