1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading power

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by chalkncheese, Feb 11, 2013.

1. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

I have been waiting to upgrade to a new iMac for months. I wanted the top of range model as i always generally believe this is sensible, but the shortage of supply where i live (Middle East) means i may have to settle for less.

While I know that a new 2.9Mhz iMac will be able to handle Logic Pro, is there much significant advantage in holding out for the 3.2 Mhz model? I imagine there is for games, but perhaps not for using Logic?

Your thoughts?
  3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Simple: get the fastest you can afford. These machines are VERY fast, and look awesome.And for Logic they are also very good, almost as fast as a dual quad Mac Pro from a generation back, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I has the $$$$.

The 3 MHZ thing might not be the only thing here: you want the i7 quad core machine, not the i5 for sure. I'd spend the cash on the 27 3.4 GHZ i7 version ($200more than the top of the line iMac). They look awesome, the monitor itself if one of the best I have ever seen, and they are QUIET when running at full song.
  4. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

thanks George, i would not hesitate if the unit was available, the point is that it doesn't seem to be available, and the few that get through have a silly waiting list, and so i am asking whether the lesser machine is up to the task, and rather hoping someone out there that has one might point in a direction, if only to say "don't buy!"
  5. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

I guess being in LA one would be able to walk into a store and pick one up...

I would wait if I couldn't order one today, and then have a huge party the day it got here ;-)