1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading RAM to improve performance - advice?

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by tijn2001, Jun 11, 2012.

1. tijn2001

tijn2001 New Member

i am currently operating on an early 2008 Mac Pro with:

2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    4GB DDR2 PC6400 RAM

I have been operating Logic 9.1 in 32-bit and OS 10.6.8 in 32-bit as well. (the 32-bit thing was something I only discovered last night - I didn't realize you had to set 64-bit manually on the early 2008 Mac Pros. so I've been operating this way for 3 years since I bought this machine used.)

Last night I was operating a session with 24 stereo tracks all using Play, EXS24 and Kontakt. Big orchestral software instruments. For the first time my session started freezing and it appeared I'd finally hit the ceiling. I could then not open any other session because I got a "session closing due to lack of memory".

I somehow realized my computer was running in 32-bit, used the Terminal login to permanently enable 64-bit startup, set Logic to run in 64-bit and now all sessions work again.

However: I WOULD like to update my RAM from 4GB to maximize performance on 64-bit, since realistically I am not really doing anything with that 64-bit capability other than preventing crashes. Now, it lets me close or disable a track if there's low memory, instead of shutting down entirely.

I am currently operating with 4 empty slots and 1x1GB in the first 4.

Would it be screwy to have the first 4 slots be regular 1x1GB and the next 2 be extreme performance RAM ? I was thinking the "gaming" ram (2x4GB).

Any advice is most appreciated.

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Go to OWC, enter the mac you have, the amount of ram you want to have, and buy away.

OWC= Other World Computing.

I would suggest 6 4 GB chips. for 24 GB ram, about the most a Mac can really use if you are also working with samples, etc. Or just add 3 X 4 Gb for a total of 15 (drop out one of the singles, Macs work better when ram is in threes due to the way the CPU addresses ram.

4. tijn2001

tijn2001 New Member

i would love to afford memory from OWC but it is considerably more expensive than Patriot memory from Fry's.....

i am looking at upgrading to 16GB : 2 packs of 2x4GB Patriot PGS28G6400ELK (gaming model, unbuffered) or Patriot PSD28G800K ("Signature" model). they are $10 separated in price and I can't tell the difference....

5. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

cheap RAM = major headaches * a waste of money/zero

6. tijn2001

tijn2001 New Member

yes but : does Patriot extreme performance 4GB ram really count as "cheap"? i'm just goin to go for it.... i have a budget. either, upgrade with this memory, or don't upgrade at all.....

7. larryphoto

larryphoto New Member

Wow- so glad I stumbled onto this thread. Just ordered 8GBs from OWC. Thanks for the suggestions!