1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Using an IAC Source in Logic

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by bayswater, Dec 6, 2012.

1. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Can someone point out where to get started on this? I want to set up an virtual instrument track in Logic, but have the MIDI for it come from another application via the IAC bus. The audio output from the instrument will go via a Soundflower channel to the application that originates the MIDI.

The piece of this chain I can't figure out is how to get the instrument in Logic to respond to MIDI on the IAC bus. I'm assuming there should be a Port assignment somewhere, but the only place I can see on is for the output side of an external MIDI instrument track.

3. Uwe Rodi

Uwe Rodi Member

The Midi Input of Logic is the physical input on the Enviroment. If you have created the IAC bus on the Audio-Midi-Setup of OSX there should be an IAC in the physical input Object. If you connect the Sum of it with the sequencer input you only have to select the a Channel Strip (Audio Instrument) in the Arrange Window and the Midi signals of the IAC will come in. You also can record the Midi Data. If you want the connection even if you have another Channel selected you have to wire the IAC of the Physical Input directly with the Channel Strip in the Enviroment. Then you can't record the signals (no connection to the sequencer input) but your Audio Instrument will play if the other program is running.
    Last thing you could also make with MainStage.
    For some multi-channel Midi signals there is a description under the following link:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2814566?start=0&tstart=0

4. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Q: does the instrument use rewire? You might be able to do that... Actually, knowing the actual apps and what the result you are looking for can help, because there are a number of ways to do this... Like the other commenter said, Mainstage might be a better option than Logic, and I say if you have rewire it's a better way of communicating than using the IAC stuff, which can be VERY buggy at the best of times.

5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Thanks both for your help.

George, I'm trying to replicate something done elsewhere, so I do need to use the IAC, despite it's shortcomings.

Uwe, I worked it out from your instructions.

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Bayswater,

Are you trying to trigger Logic's VIs from DP8? I saw the post on motunation asking about it and I was fooling around a bit with it ear;ier today and got it working. If this is what you are trying to do, you don't need to use IAC at all. Let me know if that is what you are after and I'll try and spell it out for you in more detail. It is actually very easy using DP 8's built in Inter Application MIDI function.

7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Hi Eli. Yes, I know how to trigger the VIs in Logic from DP 8 using the method you mentioned. I've even figured out how to set up multlple channels. But since getting Mach Five 3, I can open and save EXS24 instruments with that, so it's not so much a priority any more.

I was trying to replicate some tests recently reported on MIDI jitter. Both DP 8 and Logic 9 "failed" the tests, which caused a big fuss at Motunation, so I wanted to see if I could figure out what was going on. My conclusion is that MIDI timing is good with both DP and Logic, but there is some minor timing variation when VIs are triggered by externally originating MIDI.