1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Using Beat Detect

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by aanderson, Apr 18, 2012.

1. aanderson

aanderson New Member

I'm trying to line up some drums using beat detect in Logic Express 9. I have enabled flex mode and have the region that I would like to beat detect highlighted. However, when I go to Audio -> Beat detect, Logic tells me that no regions are selected. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm quite new to Logic, so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

3. LMPaule

LMPaule Senior member

I am not well versed in beat detection but a few thoughts as no one else has respond:
    - I don't think turning on flex mode to detect beats is the way to go.
    - Check the user manual on Beat Detection
    - Logic Pro Power by Ken Anker and Orrent Merton is an invaluable resource
    - I am sure a least one of the Groove 3 videos goes over this, but you will have to check which one.

4. aanderson

aanderson New Member

I appreciate the reply. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I realized that you have to enable flex mode before you record the track, and then record the track into flex mode, rather than trying to put flex mode over the track.

5. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

I've not heard of people doing things in this manner. I have never recorded any audio with flex enable, except by accident. You can easily add it after the fact.

Logic has Beat Detection, not Beat Detect.
    Beat Detection is used to find the tempo of an audio file. Is that what you want?

Flex is the mode that is similar to ProTools Beat Detective. You do not need to enable flex before you record. I always do it after the fact. You can quantize audio after you have flexed a region. The flex modes change the analysis. Might want to try Slicing and Rhythmic.

6. shreddersinc

shreddersinc Member

The way I think of it is....If I want the drums "in time"..... flex quantize (move audio)

If I want the recorded drums to "be the time"....beat detect (in other words you are not moving audio you are moving the grid to your beats)

7. forgetr

forgetr Member