Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using compressor + gain to clean up spoken word track

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by ybrian, Jan 22, 2015.

1. ybrian

ybrian New Member

Hi... I'm trying to effectively use Logic Pro X for a podcast conversation. I'm fairly new to Logic Pro X (and to audio software in general) and could use a few pointers... I should say I'm not a total newbie... I generally understand the concepts behind the various aspects of the audio compressor (threshold, ratio, make up gain, knee, attack, release) and I've been able to effectively use it for cleaning up a simple vocal track.

However, I get a little bit confused as to how to use the make up gain for a track where someone spends part of the time speaking close to the mic and part of the time speaking far from the mic... so parts of the conversation are a lot quieter than other parts... Assuming I can't re-record, I'm wondering these things:

1. For one, I'm not sure if I should deal with the lower volume via the makeup gain of the compressor or via the gain of the track in general or through a gain automation adjustment or something else.

2. Should make up gain only be used to make up for the audio compression caused by the compressor or is it still OK to use it to deal with a quiet track as well?

3. Since there are louder periods and softer periods, I'm wondering if gain automation is part of the solution...?

THANK YOU for any insights!

~ybrian