1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using individual volumes in midi drums & track stacks

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Tel, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Tel

Tel New Member

Hello all

I have just joined the group, I use to use cubase but am new to Logic pro X, so far very pleased with it. I have problem which I hope someone may be able to help me with, I have learned to convert a drummer track to midi and split the midi track to individual parts by using separate by using separate by note pitch. The problem I have encountered is that I cannot alter the volume on individual drum parts, if I move one volume slider they all move together, this defeats the object of having separate track to mix the drums as I require, I wanted to put them in a track stack and be able to make individual volume adjustments, can any one help me please.

Regards

Tel.

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

If you are using DrumKit Designer as your drum plug-in, try calling up the Producer Kit version of whichever drum kit you are using. This will give you separate aux tracks for individual processing of each kit piece.

4. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

tel: if you have split the drum pitches to different tracks, then each track will be independently controllable.

If they are all changing together, this can because they are all assigned to the same group, where the group settings checkbox for level is checked.

Or they will change together if more than one channel strip is highlit.

In either case, moving one fader will move all of them.

pete

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Peter - I don't think this will apply to his situation. He mentioned he used the "separate by note pitch" function. This will almost certainly have placed the separated data on duplicated tracks that are all pointing to the same underlying channel strip.

6. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Eli: You're probably right. Please remind me how this can be useful? I haven't used this feature for a while...

pete

7. Eli

Eli Senior member

I haven't used it in a while either. But it is useful for separating out your drum parts to individual regions so that you can edit the individual regions. Either with unique region parameters (velocity, quantization,delay, etc) or maybe some cut/copy/paste or mute/solo commands. But it's not designed to establish independent control over the individual elements in the mixer.

8. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

thanks Eli - concise explanation, as always :)

pete

9. Tel

Tel New Member

Thanks very much for all the replies, this certainly seems a friendly helpful forum.

Tel.