1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 using logic to effect a live flute performance

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by lukewells, Mar 5, 2013.

1. lukewells

lukewells New Member

I am looking to use logic to put effects on a live flute performance I want to do at gigs. The only way I have been able to figure out how to get the flute signal to come through logic is when I am recording though, which won't work for a live performance. Anyway to just run the signal through Logic Pro for the use of Logic's effects without recording? Also the only way I could figure out how to fix the latency (or change the latency at all) with the Handsonic was to go in "Low Latency Mode" which makes it so I can't even record to get the flute signal through.. however I don't want to be recording.. I just want to have one Logic project open and be able to play the drums and have the flute signal coming through.

I am also running the DJ Software Traktor at the same time, and a Roland Handsonic drum-pad to play drum sounds through ultrabeat. I am using one of my two usb ports for the Handsonic, and the other for the signal out to the Traktor box. The Flute signal is coming in through the 1/8th inch port and Logic's output goes to my Duet audio interface.

I'm quite stumped so I hope someone can help me. Thanks for taking the time!

I have a macbook pro 10.6.8 and I'm running logic 9

3. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

You just need to record enable the audio track of the flute input to get the audio going. No need to also push the record button.

There are several types of latency; you won't get a way from the hardware dependent latency but you can make sure you avoid using plugins that induce latency.

If you are not planning to record, just wanting to use the Logic effects, it may make sense to run those effects and your live flute track in Mainstage instead.

4. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

You can just enable the "I" (input monitoring) button on the Audio Track channel strip which is a better method than using the "R" button in your scenario. I point that cause in one moment you may need to record some other tracks and Logic will record the flute track while you just like to monitor its FX...
    The Logic "Software Monitoring" must be enabled in the Preferences !
    As far as I see the Main Stage is not a solution for you (as was posted above) cause you want to play drums or what else along, so stay in Logic...

5. lukewells

lukewells New Member

Tangra and Per Boysen.. thank you.. this solved my problems however I sitll have a tiny bit of latency with both the live flute and the drum pad that I am using to trigger drums in ultrabeat. In the settings under Audio>General, I have "low latency mode" set for "All". How can I get rid of the latency?

Thanks for your time.

6. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

This is the reason I still love my old DSP cards ;)

7. lukewells

lukewells New Member

so there's no way to get rid of that?

8. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

Partly, I would say. By not using any latency inducing plugins at all in your session you can get down to 9 - 10 milliseconds latency (the hardware AD/DA).

You can also split the in signal in the audio interface to have one part go out directly, without even passing through any software in the computer. This will give you zero latency. It doesn't work well with audio processing like EQ and compression where the processed signal is unisone and time synchronized with the direct signal - due to phasing issues. But direct monitoring works well with processing like delay or reverb where the effect already is delayed so the phase discrepancy won't be an issue.