1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Variable tempo

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by sacksmusic, May 2, 2013.

1. sacksmusic

sacksmusic New Member

I want to record (by midi) a keyboard "performance" that will not be done to click (to sound not mechanical). Then I want to create a tempo map that follows that "performance" that will cause that midi region (and any others that I may also have open) to conform to that tempo map. I know how to bring in an audio file and do this, but I don't know how to make pre-existing midi regions in that sequence to conform to it.

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

MIDI regions follow tempo changes on their own. There is nothing special you need to do, other than making sure they are not locked to SMPTE position.

You mention knowing how to do it with audio files - that is a lot more complex!

4. sacksmusic

sacksmusic New Member

But if a midi region contains a performance freely recorded without reference to a click and then I want to construct a click that follows that performance, how do I do that (without distorting that performance in the process)?

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Sorry, I misunderstood your original question.

There are two ways you can go about doing this:

1. Use the beat Mapping track in the Global Tracks section and beat map the MIDI region by connecting the notes that you know you want to be used as downbeats to the corresponding bar/beat position in the beat mapping window. It's a bit time consuming, but the most accurate. And once you get into a rhythm, you can usually sail through it fairly quickly.

2. Play back your freely recorded region and as you are listening, tap/record quarter notes onto another midi track to the tempo of the freely played region. Once you have that track of quarter notes recorded, use the "beats from region" button in the Global Beat Mapping track.

6. sacksmusic

sacksmusic New Member