1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 vienna ensemble pro in logic 9.1.1

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by riffeta, Mar 25, 2010.

1. riffeta

riffeta New Member

okay...im having trouble with my vienna ensemble pro. im running logic 9.1.1 in its 32 bit mode (for obvious reasons...most plugs haven't gone 64 bit arg!) and then using VEP as a 32 and 64 bit server to open memory intensive software instruments (like spectrasonics stuff and steinberg's 'The Grand 3') and spare the little memory 32 bit logic has. problem is more often than not when i save my project, 'The Grand' causes the VEP 32 bit server crashes and i normally have to reboot to solve this problem (which is time consuming and frustrating)

any suggestions on how i can get it to stabilise???

:brkwl:

3. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Are you keeping an eye in Activity Monitor to see how much RAM you are using in the VE Pro 32 bit server? 4 GB is in theory the limit but the real time figure is more like 3.2.

4. thedr

thedr New Member

I have noticed some issues with Steinberg plugins and VEP. VEP is extremely cool but isn't perfect.

Are you using a separate computer with VEP? That seems to be the best way to use it as it doesnt effect your main system and the VEP instance saves automatically with your sequencer project.

You could use Logic in 64 mode and open a 64 bit instance of VEP in Logic and connect to both 32 bit and 64 bit instances of your plugins on a separate windows or mac machine.

I found 32 bit mode unusable and in 64 bit mode at least Logic the application and its plugins (along with Spectrasonics plugs) address all of the 64 bit RAM.

5. cyril

cyril Member

Try this :
    Load your Vienna instrument in a VE pro either ensemble or server 64 bits (if you use IAC and the VE pro ensemble 64 bit, Logic uses very little memory) (I am using this)
    Load Logic in 64 bit (it will load the 32 plugins i a separate process, the 32 bridge)
    Put the other plug-ins in Logic 9

Best

Cyril

6. riffeta

riffeta New Member

@jay: i thought the server, whether 32 or 64 bit utilizes my mac's memory and that i shouldn't have a memory ceiling problem with that (i have 12 gig RAM) are you saying 4gig is the limit on my 32 bit server as well??

@thedr: i'll try the separate mac route...i'll let you know how that goes later

@cyril: i did try loading logic in 64 bit and using the bridge but some of my UAD plugs disappeared (mainly the Fatso and EMT250 which i can't live without!) so i resorted back to 32 bit.

7. cyril

cyril Member

did you try with 9.1.1 ?

If you are using VE PRO standalone 64 bit with IAC you can use Logic in 32 bit ;)

8. riffeta

riffeta New Member

yes i did try it with 9.1.1....dead.

i was however instantiating an instance of VE Pro within logic. i must say going the standalone route is giving much better results. dankie!:thmbup:

why doesn't everyone just upgrade to 64 bit..we wouldn't be having these silly problems arg! :angryfire:

9. cyril

cyril Member

10. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Every 32 bit app, including VE Pro's 32 bit server, has that limit.