1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vienna Symphony Library and Logic

Discussion in 'Audio Units: Effect and Instrument Plugins' started by Edgold, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

I would like to get some string samples which contain sul ponticello and sul tasto orchestral sounds that would work well with Logic. I phoned Sweetwater yesterday with a view towards ordering something but, though I spoke to someone about which VS library to order, we came out a blank.

I can't afford thousands of dollars for this. Any suggestions about VLS or any other library?

Also, will these samples import into Logic? How would they work?

3. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

VSL products as they are currently sold come in the form of instruments that play in the VSL proprietary Vienna Instruments (VI) AU plugin (free) or in VI Pro. They are NOT samples that will play in EXS24 for example.

See: http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/1343/1344/950.vsl

I'd suggest you visit their website for more info and prices:
    http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/1343/1289.vsl

Each product page lists all the articulations in that package.

You should also join the VSL forums:
    http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/

The VSL team are extremely helpful and responsive and should answer any questions you may have. There are cheaper entry-level packages, but you'll need to check the articulations that they contain.

Hope this helps....

4. Eddie Sullivan

Eddie Sullivan Senior member

5. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Thanks Colin and Eddie,

I'm not sure I'd want Hollywood strings as some might think my stuff is Hollywood enough! ;-) But I'll check them out.

And I'll join the VSL forum pronto!

Ed

6. Eddie Sullivan

7. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

8. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Yes, I'm also wondering if they are really much less cheap than VSL.But I see they do have various versions of symphonic strings.

9. EastWest Lurker

EastWest Lurker Senior member

10. Eddie Sullivan

All I can say is that I supply tons of East West libraries here and most of the complaints I get about East West have to do with customers who do not understand the registration process. But 95% of the tech support I do here for all software is helping people with registration issues. Once people are registered and understand the basics of the Play engine, I get no complaints about their libraries.

You are looking for some very specific articulations, and honestly I'm not sure if Hollywood Strings has enough examples of these specific articulations to satisfy you (maybe East West lurker can give us some more details...) - but their libraries are solid and a very good bargain for many composers.

11. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

I've gotten no specifics yet concerning my needs in the software even in the VSL forum and so I'm in a quandary unless and until I do.