Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 volume adjustment

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by ceol, Jun 8, 2014.

1. ceol

ceol New Member

Hi Folks
    I have logic pro 9. Is it possible to isolate/capture a section of a track and change the volume of that section without effecting the volume of the rest of the track. Using the mixer changes the volume of the whole track. I can of course alter the volume/velocity of the individual notes in Midi tracks but that's clumsy and anyway you cant do that with audio tracks, such as drums. My friend has Pro Tools and I've seen how he does it on that. I'm no expert so maybe I'm missing something obvious here. Any advice appreciated.
  3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Of course. You are talking about automation. There is track automation (along whole tracks) and there is region automation (for MIDI regions). Automation can be manually drawn, by moving onscreen elements of plugins or channelstrips, or by hardware or software controllers. Consult the manual for details.

Completely different thing. Velocity is input, automation is output, normally. Automating the volume controls the audio output level of your sound. Velocity is a MIDI event and tells how hard an instrument gets hit, blown, bowed or whatever. Low velocity with high output gives a soft and loud sound, high velocity with low output results in a hard but quiet sound.

There are synths which do not react on velocity or you can turn their velocity sensitivity down and they go just louder with increasing velocity. But generally you should keep these two parameters apart from each other because they alter different sound aspects.
  4. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Of course, reading the relevant section of the manual will be a good idea, but for a quick mind-blowing experience, click Track Automation in the "View" menu on the Arrange page. If you haven't used it before (and it sounds like you haven't) it will be like finding a room in your house that you didn't know was there!
  5. ceol

ceol New Member

Thanks guys, am going to check all that. Was recently working with a guy with pro tools who could isolate sections of a track and manipulate that section only. If logic can do it it'll give me a whole new set of possibilities and totally change how I work. Sometimes trying to find exactly what you are looking for in the manual is tricky, or maybe I'm just lazy

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

For audio tracks, it's also worth checking out the Region based Gain offset parameter. This might also get you what you are looking for.
  7. ceol

ceol New Member

Thanks Eli.
  8. ceol

ceol New Member

Thanks guys for all that advice. It all worked perfectly after a bit of trial and error and makes a huge difference to what I can do