1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Volume Automation 'Stutter'

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by tcfrombn, Jun 24, 2010.

  1. tcfrombn

    tcfrombn New Member

    I'm having a very peculiar issue with volume automation in a project I'm working on, and after further inspection seems to happen on any track in any project.

    I've assigned an automation lane on one of my tracks to volume and I have a exponential like slope in the beginning of the song ramping from -infinity to about -10db.

    The problem is that I can here incremental jumps in volume, as minute(sp?)w as they may be. I can even visually see the fader in the mixer window skipping 2-4db at a time at some points on the slope. And before you ask, there isn't any midi volume information associated.

    This is not acceptable. Is there a control to instate some sort of smoothing for this, or a faster sampling rate for automation levels?


    -TC
     
  2.  
  3. Doug Zangar

    Doug Zangar Senior member

    What you're describing is not normal behavior. Logic's automation shouldn't behave like that.

    Any hidden tracks you forgot to unhide? Any tracks share the same channel strip? And you said you checked, but I'd be tempted to check again about the possible conflict of RBA vs TBA volume automation.

    Corrupt project is also a possibility.
     
  4. tcfrombn

    tcfrombn New Member

    Hey Doug,

    Could you read my thread over at the logic support forums and let me know if you have any additional information you could enlighten me with? I have uploaded a project with the problem track in there as well.

    Thread is here.

    I have discovered that any mixer automation is downverted to a lousy 0-127 value midi cc range with sub-par interpolation.

    This is upsetting. :(
     
  5. Doug Zangar

    Doug Zangar Senior member

    I checked out your file. I agree - it is weird and sounds like crap. I've not noticed this before in my use of Logic but I was consistently able to replicate your problem. I even opened up a new file and brought in the two tracks and added my own automation.

    I came up with a work-around. Add a few nodes at the beginning (first measure at least) while trying to keep the curve shape. That seemed to fill in a lot of the curve with tighter information. So in the automation event list the numbers are linear rather than going 0,3,6 etc. which is what you're getting now. It seemed to clean up pretty well, although it takes a little tweaking.
     

Share This Page