Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 VSL and Logic 9

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Edgold, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

:brkwl:I installed Vienna Symphonic Library three days ago, the Special Edition and Plus bundle and, of course, find myself thoroughly at sea.

Does anyone know how I manually change the VSL articulations in Logic? Say from a string legato to a staccato or a ponticello? I know I have to set it up a certain way in VSL and when I put the question in the VSL forum I got the cryptic answer "hyper editor and lanes". I know how to access the hyper editor of course but I don't know what "lanes" refers to. Something in VSL?

Can anyone be more specific?

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Specifically: depends on the patch you load.

Most have what are called key switches. Open an instance of Vienna Instruments. open the editor area and take a look at the piano: you will see the main keys that play the sound, and below (C0 or C1) and a group of keys that trigger each articulation. If it is an instrument that plays lower notes, it till usually start at C6 and higher.

So, as you play along, you will press the key once to select the articulation you want, then the next for the next, for example" playing a legato line on Violin. Press the C1 before you play your first violin not to select the legato articulation... play the line until the next part, that happens to be a 1 bar long pizzicato phrase. You would press the D#1 to trigger the pitz articulation after the last legato line is being played, but before the first pitz.

Now, after you pitz bar, back to legato (so you would select C1 just before you play the first legato note to change articulations)... and so on.

So: articulations are triggered by playing a specific note. As you change the assigned keyswitch notes, you change your articulations.

Does that make sense?

4. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

To add to George's advice:
    Many of the VSL instruments change articulations according to the speed you are playing. These do not work off keyswitches as explained above.

You can see you the instrument is configured as follows:
    (I assume you're using Vienna Instruments and not VI Pro)
    Load a Matrix - look for a name that includes "speed".

Click on the Control Edit tab. You'll see H-Span and Speed in the top area on the right.
    As you play, you'll see a different area lights up as you play faster or slower. You'll also see that different Patch cells are selected on the left.

If you have a Matrix that works via Keyswitches, then the left panel in Control Edit will have H-Span/Keyswitch, with a row of note names that allow you to allocate the keyswitches.

If the Patch cells are stacked 2 or more high, then you usually use the Modwheel (CC1) to move along the other axis, as shown on the right under V-Span/CC1/Controller.

These are complex instruments and it's advisable to read the Vienna Instruments manual carefully for more info.

5. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

This is especially true of Vienna Instruments. The combinations of articulations that you can load are really off the shelf suggestions (presets). Very often you would want to make your own, or customise the existing ones ether to not include articulations you don't need (to save RAM) or to add other articulations that you do need.

In this case it's imperative to understand how keyswitches work. You can use a keys that are out of the range of the actual instrument (as mentioned above), but you can also choose to use modwheel or other types of controller which some people prefer.

Disclaimer: the following is a bit of a plug for a product I made.

I prefer to use text or score symbols for switching articulatioons, so that the word "pizz" in the score switces an arco patch to pizzicato. To do this easily I developed a macro that you cable in the environment. This is a lot easier than having keswitches or CC data cluttering up your event list.

6. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Thanks George, Colin and Pete,

From all your answers, I believe I can now proceed but it will take some time.

Ed Gold

7. Serpentsea

Serpentsea New Member

interesting, I am using east west play, does this macro work for it?