Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to Make My 2008 Macpro Last...

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by evoclogic, Nov 7, 2015.

1. evoclogic

evoclogic New Member

Hello Luggers,
    I just made the jump to logic X.
    I was considering a new system, but I really want to make what I have last another year or two if possible.
    Here is my dilemma/question that I need your wisdom and help on.

I have a Macpro 2008 3,1 2x3 Ghz Quad core Xeon, running Mavericks, 16 gigs ram, numerous SSD for sample libraries, and a UAD 2-quad PCI card. I'm using an Apogee ensemble firewire interface. I'm running a ton of Kontakt, EXS24, a decent amount of the VSL library.

Can I buy a 2012 mac mini quadcore 2-2.3 ghz i7, and use Vienna Ensemble to run the two computers together and get enough performance to continue working for another year until either a new Imac comes out that has thunderbolt v3, or move to the new macpro if and when they implement usb3, and thunderbolt 3 ?

I mainly score to picture and do orchestral documentary, and a lot of reality TV as well as library music.

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Best regards,

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. angelonyc

angelonyc New Member

My 2008 Mac Pro died 2 months ago. I couldn't wait. So I bought a MacPro, 6 core, D300 graphics card, 4 gig memory. I went to Other World Computing and switched to 64 gig memory.. After some polling that was the set up three people told me.. I think it works well..

My concern, is that I've noticed some plug-ins becoming real CPU hogs U-he synths, and KV331 Synthmaster. They were already totally crippling my 2008 8 core mac pro.. So I wanted to get a computer I could upgrade later. (Other World Computing) has several upgrades for 2013 Mac Pro, # of CPUs, a 2 TB SSD, up to 128 gig of memory..

Your demands should be lower cause you're running two computers, so I can't answer to that. The new Mac Pros (due in 2016?) will be faster of course.. But I think at this point, audio is well within the limits of many machines..

My understanding of Thunderbolt 3 is, that it is way faster than audio. So not so much an issue.. Unless your trying to play hundreds of tracks of sampled audio.. Then again, you're going to have to build a big expensive RAID system to get that much through put going. The Thunderbolt 3 is more for the upcoming 5K monitors (moving billions of pixels at a time) and not audio..

The big issue seems to be more memory.. I got an appraisal of 64 gig.. To jump to 128 gig (not sure it's necessary) is quite a price jump.. The move to Thunderbolt Raids was expensive.. So if you can manage with drives you got, that's good.
  4. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

You will get much more bang for the buck with a slave PC for VE Pro than a Mac Mini. Best decision I ever made.
  5. evoclogic

evoclogic New Member

Hi AngeloNYC and Jay.
    Much appreciated!