Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Waveburner can't find my Logic 8 song

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by jerrytown, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jerrytown

jerrytown New Member

A situation I haven't dealt with before...

I created a song in Logic 8, then transferred that song via flash drive to somebody else's computer so he could mix it.

He sent the mix back as an email attachment. I opened the attachment in Logic and also saved the attachment to the desktop.

When I try to import the song into Waveburner, the mixed/attachment version is not listed under Logic. I can find the song under Desktop, but it's grayed out and won't let me select it.

So my question is (unless there's a better way of doing things) how do I make an attachment "part" of Logic so that I can find it under the Logic folder when I'm importing into Waveburner?

One thing I've thought of but am afraid to try for fear of permanently screwing something up - when the attachment opens into Logic 8, can I bounce the song into Logic 8 by choosing file --> bounce and then choosing Logic under the "where" dropdown?

Thanks in advance - I really appreciate this site.
  3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

I suspect the permissions are not set correctly or the file is locked.

Touch the file, and then press command and i to get into.

Check and see if it is locked or not (there is a checkbox in the info area). Unlock it if it's locked.

The other thing you can try is look at the lowest area and check the permissions: are they set for your main account to read and write. Make sure they are by selecting the pop up menu and selecting the correct choice.

I always suggest someone zip the file before sending via email, as it almost always changes one or the other so you are no longer able to alter the file.
  4. Eli

Eli Senior member

Is it possible the file the guy emailed you is an mp3?
  5. jerrytown

jerrytown New Member

Hi, guys,

Checking back in - thanks for the ideas. After rooting around, it doesn't appear the song is an mp3, it's not locked, it looks zipped, and it says I have read and write privileges.

Also, I tried opening it in Logic and then bouncing it to Logic, but it told me the file was empty or something (can't recall the exact message).

This is eating me up. Can anybody think of anything else?

Thanks again,
  6. jerrytown

jerrytown New Member

Follow-up to Waveburner can't find my song

Hi, all,

Specifically for georgelegeriii and Eli Krantzberg, who were kind enough to answer my first thread, but also to anyone who can help. Please see my other recent thread if you don't know what I'm talking about.

So I opened the desktop file in Logic, then exported a single audio file to applications, then I was able to import that audio file into Waveburner by selecting it out of applications (and it played!).

So I got the bright idea of exporting ALL the audio files to applications, but when I imported them my song suddenly became 70 minutes long in Waveburner and only a kickdrum played. looks like my other export options are exporting:

1. the project as on OMF file
    2. the project as an Open TL file
    3. the project as an AAF file
    4. the project to Final Cut Pro/XML (which I imagine I don't want)

What does this stuff mean, and are any of these options suitable for me?

Thanks so much again,
  7. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

I merged this post with your other thread, there is no need to start a new thread, it tends to be counterproductive to discuss the same issue in more than one place.

Exactly what type of file is it that you are having problems with? You say it isn't mp3 format, but you don't say what it is - WAV, or AIF, or is it actually a Logic Project, in which case, you wouldn't be able to open it in Waveburner anyway? Reading your comment:

have you considered the possibility that it was corrupted?

8. jerrytown

jerrytown New Member

Thanks for your help. It is actually a Logic Project, I guess, since I created it in Logic and all he's doing is sending it back to me.

I'm sure this sounds dumb to you, but why can't I open a Logic Project in Waveburner? Since I can import other Logic Projects into Waveburner I guess I don't understand why I can't just do the same thing here.

9. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Again, we need to be clear about what we are talking about. A Logic Project is a file called something like "mysong.logic" and contains all the information Logic needs to run and manage a project - Midi Regions, Audio Regions in the Bin and arrange window which refer to Audio Files on your computer, Plugins, settings, screensets, environment settings and much more.

Why would you want to try to open all of that in Waveburner? That doesn't make sense. Waveburner takes audio files and uses them to create CDs.

If OTOH, when you refer to a "logic project" you actually mean an audio file you created in Logic by bouncing, mixing, exporting etc.,which might be called something like "mysongmix.wav" or "mysongmix.aif" this you definitely should be able to open and use in Waveburner.

Can you clarify all this?
  10. jerrytown

jerrytown New Member

Thanks for sticking with me here.

Yes, by Logic Project I mean audio files I created in Logic from scratch - you know, opening a new project, creating software instrument tracks, vocals, etc.

So it's like any other standard Logic Project except I had another guy mix it on his computer, and now when I get the flash drive with the mixed song back I can't get Waveburner to import it.

Yes, I do want to open it in Waveburner because I'm trying to create a CD of three songs to send off to a production company (so actually there are three songs in the same boat of not being able to open in Waveburner). Initially my mixer gave me a CD that he had simply made from iTunes, but apparently iTunes CDs are worthless to production companies and not used.

Tell me this off the top of your head, if you can. Do you think it would work to plug in the flash drive with the mixed song, put it on the desktop, open it in Logic, and then just Save As --> Logic? Right now Logic only has my unmixed version in its cache of saved projects. I'm reluctant to try it because I don't want to make any changes to my mixed version if I can avoid it, since the mixer lives far away.