Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 What books are recommended for Logic Pro 9 learning

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by clmsound, May 15, 2012.

1. clmsound

clmsound New Member

Hello all,
    We have used Garage Band and are now in process of migrating to Logic Pro 9. I would like to find out what books the group would recommend for extra information and understanding of Logic Pro 9 as we move forward with this.
    Thanks for the assistance and my apology if this is an oft asked question.

CLM Sound
  3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

There are a few books out there to choose from. Here's a short list

LUG's own Orren Merton has co-authored Logic Pro 9 Power.

Contributor Jay Asher has written Going Pro with Logic Pro 9.

Apple's training books Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express 9 (David Nahmani) and Logic Pro 9 Advanced (David Dvorin).

They are all good. There's a few more out there as well - you'll learn a lot from any one of them.
  4. clmsound

clmsound New Member

Thank you Doug. I have seen all of them so will browse through while drinking a starbucks coffee then make a decision.

Thanks again
  5. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the shout out Doug! Let me also add that for books on specific aspects of Logic, Jay Asher has a book on the Score Editor called Scoring with Logic Pro, and Kevin Anker (my co-author for Logic Pro 9 Power) has a book on Using Logic Pro's Synthesizers.

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

I noticed new book was just released a week or so ago by Logic expert Dot Bustelo. I don't know anything about it other than the marketing blurbs and trailer video, but it looks very interesting! Although I don't think it's meant as a comprehensive guide for a beginner. I don't know Dot personally, but do know that she has an excellent reputation as a Logic trainer from when she worked at Apple.
  7. Doug Zangar

If I remember correctly, this release was touted for quite some time as a book on Logic 10? At least she was being marketed for that - could have been an additional title. Seems we're all playing the guessing game and waiting....
  8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

The Dot Bustelo book arrived today.

No surprise, it's a Logic 9 book, but a quick preview suggests that a suitable alternative title (or subtitle) would be: "Real World Logic" as the topics presented are meant to help the user get up and running.

The author's extensive experience as an instructor to a wide range of artists and studio owners really resonates in her writing. She talks about "becoming one with Logic" and learning it like it's an instrument requiring daily practice.

This book isn't a replacement for the previously mentioned books above, but my initial impression is that the specificity of the content in this book reflects the author's years of experience as a Logic trainer to significant individuals in the music industry.

Bottom line: :thmbup: :thmbup:
  9. Doug Zangar

Thanks for the quick review!
  10. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

More impressions will be posted as I dig deeper.
  11. rayselak

rayselak New Member

Take a look the book "Logic Pro 9 Audio and Music Production" by Mark Cousins & Russ Hapworth-Sawyer. Book with COLOR clear pictures that I like.
    Also Mr. Doug Zangar have DVD by Brainwerks by the name: "Music Production With Logic 8" that I love and use every day. Great DVD.

take care.
    Ray Selak
  12. Doug Zangar

I'm glad you have found the tutorial useful Ray. You have an early published version - it's all marketed by now.