Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Mac mini for logic/mainstage

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by Spookymooo, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Spookymooo

Spookymooo New Member

At last......! I am about to migrate from an Atari 1040 running Notator in conjunction with a Yamaha aw16g DAW. Latest project complete...a new dawn!

I have been tipped off to look at using a Mac mini with Mainstage/MOTU for live work. Also looking to use it for recording with Logic.

Currently there are 3 mac minis available all with upgrades.
    Currently thinking of the quad core 2.3 ghz/1TB with 16 gig memory upgrade.

1) Will this combo suit recording with a few third party tasty plug ins (Pianoteq, U-He Diva and M-Tron) or should I also consider upgrading to solid state drive.....not clear about this option at all...any help greatly appreciated. Having relied on floppy discs plus 2 backups for each piece you can see why!

2) is the Mac mini really up to both tasks?
    (With Neovo pro X 17 for live and a Samsung monitor for recording)

Cheers in anticipation, Rob
  3. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Atari 1040? You must be the world's last holdout.

I think the most important thing to consider with the Mini is to get one with the i7 processor. When it comes to running a lot of VI channels, the i5 versions will top out a lot sooner than the i7 versions. Something to do with floating point processing. RAM is cheap so you might as well do 16G. I noticed a big drop in disk swapping going from 4G to 8G, and with 16G I can have a lot of VI samples in RAM. For the internal drive, of course the solid state will load things in a fraction of the time a hard drive will, but it depends on whether that's worth the cost in your particular situation. For me, it's not an issue because everything gets loaded at startup, so I wait a minute, and after that it doesn't make a lot of difference. But for live performance with a lot of patch changes, a large internal SSD would be a big help.
  4. Spookymooo

Spookymooo New Member

Fusion drive

Thanks Bayswater for your very helpful reply.
    The SSD seems a good idea particularly for live use.
    I've noticed that there is a fusion drive option with 1TB capacity.
    I guess it's a hybrid combining both the features of SSD and hard drive.
    Would this be a better upgrade than the SSD option. I'm a bit concerned about the SSD lower storage of 256 gb

Cheers Rob
  5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I have a friend with a fusion drive in his MacBook Pro. It's faster, but not dramatically faster. I wouldn't bother with it for audio samples.

You might want to look at OWC SSD upgrade kits. They go up to 1T.

You'll have to dig around the site and have a look at the videos that show how to do the installation to see how difficult it is to install. Sometimes it very easy -- sometimes not, depending on the specific model. OWC is generally a good supplier for Mac related stuff and prices are better than the Apple Store.