Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these Macs is best for what i want to do?

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by Jezabell123, May 30, 2016.

1. Jezabell123

Jezabell123 New Member

Hey guys,

I want to get a Mac and start producing music using Logic Pro X. I make mainly dance music and use FX like Waves and software like Sylenth and Dune2. I also will be using my Virus TI. I dont know if this is classed as processor intensive or not but i dont really use romplers like Nexus etc. I have the opportunity to buy a mac mini. I didnt really want a macbook pro as i already have a really nice monitor set up and mouse/keyboard so thats why i didnt really want an iMac neither. I thought the Mac mini would be perfect for me but i dont want to buy one if its not going to be powerful enough for what i want. I have made a list of some options i have to purchase. If you could advise as to wether they will be good enough to run logic x for what i want and which (if any) you would buy or reccomend.

All help greatly appreciated!

MAC MINI CORE I5 2.5GHZ (MID 2011)
    16GB Ram
    256Gig Flash

MAC MINI QUAD CORE I7 2.0GHZ (MID 2011)
    16GB Ram
    1TB Hard Drive

Mac Mini (Late 2012)
    Quad Core i7 2.3 ghz
    16 GB RAM
    1TB Hard Drive

Or a

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
    Core i5 2.8 ghz
    8GB RAM
    1TB Fusion Drive

3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Avoid the fusion drive!

4. Jezabell123

Jezabell123 New Member

Are any of these powerfull enough for what i want logic for?

5. paulnajar

paulnajar Senior member

They will all be powerful enough - some more than others.

Definitely get 16gb ram. Definitely get i7 CPU.

There was a point a few years ago where apple stopped making quad core Mac minis so this means that the fastest CPU mini is a few years old. Whatever the last quad core i7 model was that is th machine you want.

There was also a server model with 2 1tb hard drives. Get one with 2 drives and swap out one for a ssd. You can do this mod to a single drive mini but I believe it's harder and requires an additional bracket.

So the fastest mini in the world would be quad core i7@ 2.3 or 2.6ghz, 16gb ram, 2xhd with at least 1 of them being a ssd. That would be quite a powerful machine and unless your work habits change expect to get 5 or more years out of it.

6. Jezabell123

Jezabell123 New Member

Yeah i will have to get a drive seperately, as the i7 with 16gig comes with 1tb hdd but the drive speed is like 7300 so thats not too bad.

Thank you for the help guys, i will buy it all tommorow.

7. Jezabell123

Jezabell123 New Member

Well i boaght the

Mac Mini (Late 2012)
    Quad Core i7 2.3 ghz
    16 GB RAM
    1TB Hard Drive

I will have it within a day and i can get Logic once again :)

8. Jezabell123

Jezabell123 New Member

So I got the 2012 'Server' model with i7 quad, 16gb RAM and the 1TB HDD. What exactly does it mean that its the Server model or is that just the name? I will be downloading logic soon and I'm really looking forward to it :)

9. Antaren

Antaren Member

Peter, why should we avoid the fusion drive? Thanks for your help.

10. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Purely based on my one experience with the fusion drive in my iMac. Loads of disk too slow errors with Logic. All sorted as soon as I switched to external TB SSD

11. Antaren

Antaren Member

Thanks, Peter. Any else out there have the same experience?